Re: [aleyos-online] Re: Why do people think that....

  • cheri milstead
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
      Ashe Seremey!!

      I was brought up in the Christian relgion.  Fortunately, I had an open mind and found my way to Santeria.  This religion is very misunderstood by the 'outside'.  Many of my blood family members also think it is a satanic religion.  The important thing for me is that I know my beliefs, my religion and where it has brought me.  This religion, more than any other religion I have been involved with, has taught me to be a better person.  I am who I am today because of the love I share with my orishas!  It comes a time you have to forget what others say and know what is right for you, what gives you peace inside.  Be true to yourself and always to your orishas!

      YemajaOlokun
      seremey <seremey@...> wrote:
      I have alot to say about that matter. I use to date someone who
      decided to stop talking to me because of my religion. I felt so sad
      but because he lives in a world of the ignorant and the naive. I have
      to say that Christianity has been destroying cultures for years they
      want to impose their religion to oppress and dominate people.
      Santeria as well as many other Indiginous Religions have stayed alive
      because we want to continue with the traditions of their ancestors.
      Civilization started in Africa and our history has been oppressed for
      years. Great kings like Chango and many others have been hidden an
      only those who study and learn about the great kings and Queens of
      Africa now the truth about how great our ancestors are.

      I have decided not to talk to the people about my religion unless
      they are open about it. Many people walk on different paths and do
      not respect any other religions. Is ok because there are some of us
      that know about it and at least are trying to keep the religion
      going. So my advise is for you to talk to someone who is willing to
      understand the beauty of our culture.

      Ashe
      Seremey

      --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, "amigo10032" <amigo10032@y...>
      wrote:
      > a simple answer to ur question would be that people fear what they
      > don't understand or know. which only leaves them with one
      alternative
      > which is to bash or make ill remarks about what they truly know
      > nothing about.
      >

      > --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, "hyprspax" <hyprspax@y...>
      wrote:
      > > why do some people consider Santeria a form of devil worship.
      While I
      > > don't believe this to be true, someone I was talking to had
      mentioned
      > > that because there was worship of deities, this meant that the
      dead
      > > were being worshiped which lead him to believe it was a form of
      devil
      > > worship. I totally disagree with that however,I would like to get
      > > someone's opinion on this.Thank you in advance for responding.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Noemi
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2004
        Alafia all:

        The "Christians" the spout their religious beliefs are following the
        bible scriptures that says we are not to praise any other God but
        him. I think they don't realize that God has emissaries and that we
        are not turning away from God. We just praise Olodumare, whom to my
        understanding is God. I believe in my spirituality and the upraising
        of my soul. My mission is to be the best person I can be.

        I was raised in the Pentecostal church and was taught you go to hell
        for the most minimal infraction. I can't believe that God would turn
        his back to me because I am santera. I am a parent and would not
        turn my back on my children, cause that's what love should be,
        unconditional. (I'm not saying that if they try to kill you or
        disrespect you in a way that goes beyond the norm, we tolerate that
        behavior. But if I weren't santera and my daughter or son was, I
        wouldn't turn my back on her.)

        Noemi
        --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, cheri milstead

        Service.