Why do people think that....

  • hyprspax
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
      why do some people consider Santeria a form of devil worship. While I
      don't believe this to be true, someone I was talking to had mentioned
      that because there was worship of deities, this meant that the dead
      were being worshiped which lead him to believe it was a form of devil
      worship. I totally disagree with that however,I would like to get
      someone's opinion on this.Thank you in advance for responding.
    • amigo10032
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
        a simple answer to ur question would be that people fear what they
        don't understand or know. which only leaves them with one alternative
        which is to bash or make ill remarks about what they truly know
        nothing about.

        --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, "hyprspax" <hyprspax@y...> wrote:
        > why do some people consider Santeria a form of devil worship. While I
        > don't believe this to be true, someone I was talking to had mentioned
        > that because there was worship of deities, this meant that the dead
        > were being worshiped which lead him to believe it was a form of devil
        > worship. I totally disagree with that however,I would like to get
        > someone's opinion on this.Thank you in advance for responding.
      • seremey
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
          I have alot to say about that matter. I use to date someone who
          decided to stop talking to me because of my religion. I felt so sad
          but because he lives in a world of the ignorant and the naive. I have
          to say that Christianity has been destroying cultures for years they
          want to impose their religion to oppress and dominate people.
          Santeria as well as many other Indiginous Religions have stayed alive
          because we want to continue with the traditions of their ancestors.
          Civilization started in Africa and our history has been oppressed for
          years. Great kings like Chango and many others have been hidden an
          only those who study and learn about the great kings and Queens of
          Africa now the truth about how great our ancestors are.

          I have decided not to talk to the people about my religion unless
          they are open about it. Many people walk on different paths and do
          not respect any other religions. Is ok because there are some of us
          that know about it and at least are trying to keep the religion
          going. So my advise is for you to talk to someone who is willing to
          understand the beauty of our culture.

          Ashe
          Seremey

          --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, "amigo10032" <amigo10032@y...>
          wrote:
          > a simple answer to ur question would be that people fear what they
          > don't understand or know. which only leaves them with one
          alternative
          > which is to bash or make ill remarks about what they truly know
          > nothing about.
          >

          > --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, "hyprspax" <hyprspax@y...>
          wrote:
          > > why do some people consider Santeria a form of devil worship.
          While I
          > > don't believe this to be true, someone I was talking to had
          mentioned
          > > that because there was worship of deities, this meant that the
          dead
          > > were being worshiped which lead him to believe it was a form of
          devil
          > > worship. I totally disagree with that however,I would like to get
          > > someone's opinion on this.Thank you in advance for responding.
        • cheri milstead
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2004
            Ashe Seremey!!

            I was brought up in the Christian relgion.  Fortunately, I had an open mind and found my way to Santeria.  This religion is very misunderstood by the 'outside'.  Many of my blood family members also think it is a satanic religion.  The important thing for me is that I know my beliefs, my religion and where it has brought me.  This religion, more than any other religion I have been involved with, has taught me to be a better person.  I am who I am today because of the love I share with my orishas!  It comes a time you have to forget what others say and know what is right for you, what gives you peace inside.  Be true to yourself and always to your orishas!

            YemajaOlokun

            wrote:
            > a simple answer to ur question would be that people fear what they
            > don't understand or know. which only leaves them with one
            alternative
            > which is to bash or make ill remarks about what they truly know
            > nothing about.
            >

            > --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, "hyprspax" <hyprspax@y...>
            wrote:
            > > why do some people consider Santeria a form of devil worship.
            While I
            > > don't believe this to be true, someone I was talking to had
            mentioned
            > > that because there was worship of deities, this meant that the
            dead
            > > were being worshiped which lead him to believe it was a form of
            devil
            > > worship. I totally disagree with that however,I would like to get
            > > someone's opinion on this.Thank you in advance for responding.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Noemi
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 23, 2004
              Alafia all:

              The "Christians" the spout their religious beliefs are following the
              bible scriptures that says we are not to praise any other God but
              him. I think they don't realize that God has emissaries and that we
              are not turning away from God. We just praise Olodumare, whom to my
              understanding is God. I believe in my spirituality and the upraising
              of my soul. My mission is to be the best person I can be.

              I was raised in the Pentecostal church and was taught you go to hell
              for the most minimal infraction. I can't believe that God would turn
              his back to me because I am santera. I am a parent and would not
              turn my back on my children, cause that's what love should be,
              unconditional. (I'm not saying that if they try to kill you or
              disrespect you in a way that goes beyond the norm, we tolerate that
              behavior. But if I weren't santera and my daughter or son was, I
              wouldn't turn my back on her.)

              Noemi
              --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, cheri milstead

              Service.