markings

  • tnman901
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
      I was watching a documentary about African religions and it showed a
      picture of some pieces if wood with '-' lines in chalk on it in
      sequences, and a few 'O' types symbols under them. One pattern was
      like '---' then '-O--', and so on. This looks like what I have seen
      in books talking about 'Ifa divination'. Can someone tell me what
      this is?

      thanks,
      Tommy
    • Omonire
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
        Basically in Ifa divination this marcks come in two
        rows and show in a schematic view the ifa letters. I
        don-t think they were related with ifa because this
        letters contains many meanings each one of them.
        Always remember that it is not the case to know the
        meanings and read them. You always need a ceremony
        before you can do it. And it is a secret just for the babalawos.

      • yemayakid@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
          tommy ,, i am not sure because i didn't see it but from what you describe it sounds like the divination system of ifa priests,,,,,,, hope this helps,,,, shirley