Re: [aleyos-online] pataki/ patiki

  • Dmitry
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002

      Hier is some Pataki,

      Olodumare, even though he was king of the other

      gods, had a mortal fear of mice. The other gods thought that a king, especially their king, should not be afraid of anything as unimportant and weak as a mouse.

      "Olodumare has turned into a weak old woman," they said, for they believed it shameful to fear mice. "It's time that we took away his power and named another king." Besides, they wanted total dominion of the world.

      Things continued as they were until the principal Orishas got together again.

      "We must take away Olodumare's power," they said. "He is getting old and weak."

      Everyone agreed, again. There was a problem, though. Olodumare was old, but he certainly was not weak. He was fierce and terrible and not one of the other Orishas would dare to challenge him in combat.

      The Orishas thought and talked and thought some more until one, no one knows who came up with an idea.

      "Let's scare Olodumare to death," said the unknown Orisha.

      "How do you propose to do that?" asked the other Orishas, since they themselves were deathly afraid of Olodumare.

      "Olodumare is afraid of mice," said the Orisha.

      "Everyone knows that," exclaimed the disappointed Orishas. "We thought that you had an idea."

      "If he is afraid of one mouse," continued the Orisha, "what would happen if we invite him over to our house and fill it with mice?"

      "Tell us," said the other Orishas.

      "If Olodumare finds himself in a house full of mice, he will be so afraid that he will run away from here or die. We'll take over his house and we will be the masters of the world."

      "That's a wonderful plan," they all exclaimed. Putting their heads together, the Orishas began to plot how they were going to lure Olodumare to their house and scare him to death with mice.

      They forgot that Elegua was by the door. He lived by the door, since he is the Orisha that rules roads, routes and entrances. They had forgotten all about him. He heard all their plans.

      What did Elegua do? What did the trickster Orisha do? He knew the day that Olodumare was coming. He had listened to the other Orishas' plans. He waited and hid behind the door.

      Olodumare arrived, happy to have been invited to a party. He knew that he was not as popular among the Orishas as he used to be. Little did he know that the other Orishas were hidden, waiting to release hundreds of mice. The moment he stepped inside, the door was slammed shut at Olodumare's back. The mice were released.

      Olodumare was terrified and ran around the house screaming, "The mice are attacking. The mice are attacking!"

      He tried to find a place to hide, but every box he opened and every closet he ran into just had more and more mice.

      Olodumare ran head first at the door, ready to demolish it, just so that he could escape the tormenting rodents. Just as head and door were going to meet, Elegua stepped out and stopped his panicked rush.

      "Stop, Olodumare," said Elegua, putting his arms around the terrified old Orisha. "No mouse will harm you."

      "Yes they will. Yes they will," cried Olodumare.

      "Watch," said Elegua. He started eating the mice.

      Elegua ate and ate and ate until he had eaten all the mice.

      Olodumare, whose fear had turned to fury, demanded, "Who dared do this to me?"

      Elegua said nothing. Smiling like a happy cat, he pointed out the hiding places of all the plotting Orishas.

      Olodumare immediately punished them in a very terrible and painful manner. After he grew tired of watching them hop and scream, he turned to Elegua and said, "Now, what can I do for you?"

      Elegua scuffed the floor and shook his head. "Oh, nothing," he said.

      "Nothing!" roared Olodumare. "You saved me and you saved my crown and you want nothing?"

      "Well," said Elegua, "maybe just a little thing."

      "You can have whatever you want," said Olodumare firmly.

      "I want the right to do what I want," said Elegua. He went on with more conviction, ignoring Olodumare's raised eyebrows. "I want the right to do what I will. I want the right to do what I want, whatever that may be."

      Olodumare wished it so, and so it was. From that moment on, Elegua is the only god that does as he wills without restraints or limits.
      Orunmila had returned to earth to see how all the Babalawos he had trained in the arts of divination were getting along. He decided to travel from town to town and greet his old students.

      "Orunmila, how nice to see you," said one. "I don't have time to talk with you now, I have an appointment."

      "Orunmila, how are you?" said another. "If you come back on Wednesday, I'll be able to see you."

      "Orunmila, I'm very busy with my clients right now," said a third. "Could you come back in a day or so?"

      Orunmila was furious. All his old students were ignoring him. They were too concerned with making money and having a big reputation to honor their old teacher. Orunmila decided to teach them a lesson.

      He sent out notice that he would challenge all the Babalawos to a contest to see who cast the most accurate oracles. Orunmila figured that, after they had been shamed by his incomparable skill, all the Babalawos would respect him again.

      After the notices had been sent, he went to the nearest town and challenged the Babalawo. Orunmila proved to be a far better reader of the oracles, of course. But, the Babalawo refused to pay Orunmila the agreed upon amount.

      Elegua, who is never far away and always likes to play tricks, walked up to Orunmila and the Babalawo.

      "Hello, Orunmila, how are you today?" said Elegua.

      "I am angry, Elegua." fumed Orunmila.

      "And, why is that, dear Orunmila?" Elegua tried to stifle his giggles, since he knew perfectly well what had been going on.

      "This cheat of a Babalawo has lost a wager with me," answered Orunmila. "And now, he refuses to pay."

      Elegua looked up and down the nervous Babalawo. "Is that right? Are you trying to cheat Orunmila?"

      "Well, Lord Elegua..." stammered the Babalawo.

      Before he could say another word, Elegua reached out and put his powerful warrior's hand around the Babalawo's neck. He looked at the man straight in the eye.

      "Tell me," he said softly, "are you looking for trouble?"

      "No," squeaked the Babalawo.

      Elegua raised his garabato stick over the Babalawo's head.

      "You'd never do anything to make me angry, would you?" growled Elegua.

      Another squeak, "No."

      "And what are you going to do?" asked Elegua, tapping the unhappy Babalawo on the nose with his garabato stick.

      "I'm going to pay Orunmila?" asked the Babalawo.

      "What was that?" shouted Elegua, shaking the Babalawo back and forth.

      "I'm going to pay Orunmila. I'm going to pay Orunmila." stuttered the Babalawo.

      He took his money pouch out of his clothes and handed the whole thing over to Orunmila.

      "I thought you wanted to cheat Orunmila, but I see that you are a man who pays his debts when he loses." said Elegua and gave the Babalawo a resounding slap on the back. "I'll leave you alone."

      Orunmila and Elegua turned and walked away arm in arm. The Babalawo picked himself up from the road and began dusting off his clothes.

      "One more thing," said Elegua turning back to the Babalawo.

      "Yes?" The Babalawo cringed.

      "Since you have forgotten that the oracles are meant to communicate with the Orishas and not to increase the Babalawo's wealth, I'm prohibiting you from using the Dilogun ever again."

      Orunmila and Elegua left the Babalawo wailing after them.

      In the next town, the Babalawo saw Elegua and his tick standing next to Orunmila. There was no trouble there.
      For as long as anyone can remember, for as long as there is memory, Ogun and Chango have been enemies. The way it is told by some, their hatred goes back to their childhood.

      It is said that Ogun had sex with his mother. The incestuous relationship took the mother's affections away from the father. Chango, Ogun's younger brother, grew up and found out about his brother's illicit love. He decided to take vengeance.

      Ogun and Oya were lovers. Chango waited and watched Ogun's house until he saw that he left Oya alone. He went to the door, and, being a strong and fierce warrior, had no difficulty knocking it down.

      He went in, grabbed Oya and ignored her protests.

      "You are coming with me now," he told her. "You are going to be my woman."

      When Ogun returned, he searched the house for Oya. The neighbors told him what had happened. Furious, Ogun ran to Chango's house.

      Chango had made love to Oya. His sexual prowess had made her fall madly in love with him.

      Ogun hammered on Chango's door. Chango stuck his head out a window.

      "What do you want?" shouted Chango.

      "I want my woman back," yelled Ogun.

      "Well, let's see if she wants to go back with you," said Chango.

      Oya leaned out the window.

      "What do you want, little man?" she shouted. "Go back home, I'm quite happy here."

      Ogun's face got very red. His throat swelled like a bull's.

      "He has put a spell on you," he shouted. "I don't care if he is the god of thunder. I'm going to make you mine again and destroy him."

      Oya's and Chango's laughter was his answer.

      Ogun and Chango have been mortal enemies ever since.

      That's one version, but, another story tells of the time when Ogun and Chango met each other in the forest.

      When he saw Chango, Ogun pounded his chest.

      "Chango, I challenge you." He drove his huge spear into the earth between Chango's legs. "We haven't fought each other in a long time. It's time to show you that I'm the better warrior," bragged Ogun.

      "When do you want to fight?" asked Chango without raising his voice.

      "I want to fight right now!" roared Ogun.

      "I agree with you," said Chango. "I want to fight you right now too."

      With a yell, Ogun grabbed his spear and rushed at Chango.

      "Wait, wait," said Chango. "Let's not rush matters. We have the rest of our lives in which to fight each other. Let's do this right."

      "What do you mean?" growled Ogun.

      "Let's have a drink first," said Chango. "Aren't you thirsty?" And, he took a large gulp from his gourd full of aguardiente.

      "Let me have some," said Ogun. "Watching you drink makes me thirsty."

      Chango handed him the gourd. "Have a good drink of aguardiente. I'll wait. We have all day to fight."

      Chango knew that Ogun loved strong drink. He also knew that Ogun had no capacity for alcohol. After just a couple of gulps from the gourd, Ogun was weaving and laughing at nothing.

      Ogun had two or three more slugs from the gourd. They went right to his head. His eyes got very red, so did his nose and ears.

      "I'm ready to fight now." he yelled at Chango. "Get ready, I'm going to destroy you."

      Of course, Ogun could do nothing of the kind, since he was now blind drunk. He whirled his arms, trying to hit Chango. Chango picked him up and threw him on the ground. Ogun tried to get up, but Chango jumped up and down on his chest, picked him up by his feet and swung his head against a tree. Ogun's head made a very unpleasant sound as it hit the tree trunk.

      Chango left Ogun lying on the ground. The ants went into Ogun's nose and into his ears.

      An hour later, Ogun came to. His head hurt terribly. His whole body was covered with insect bites and, what's worse, he felt like a complete fool for allowing Chango to play a dirty trick on him. He go to his feet slowly, blowing the ants out of his nose. He held on to the tree trunk for support.

      "I will never forgive you," he croaked, shaking his fist in the direction of Chango's house. "I will never forgive this."

      And, he didn't. Ogun never forgave Chango. They have been enemies ever since.

      c> hello my name is shantey and i am new to this group i am trying to
      c> learn as much as i can in this religion because although i grew up in
      c> it i was not explained alot of the things that go on and why. I would
      c> like to know the stories of the santos or their pataki's so that i
      c> can better understand why things r done the way they r. I guess i was
      c> one of those kids whose parents didnt give them a choice although i
      c> dont mind now because ive dont so much that it's too late to turn
      c> back. but any and all information is appreciated.
      c> blessings and thank you.