Information on an Orisha

  • Paul Silverio-Benet
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002

      Greetings,

      The other day I was involved in a conversation with some other santeros here in Miami. They were speaking of an orisha called Koto. (not sure of spelling). Does anyone have any information regarding this orisha?

      Thanks,

      Paul

      Omo Obatala

      Do You Yahoo!?
    • Omonire
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2002
        --- Ruben Feliciano <ruben_108@...> escribió: >

        > Hola, my name is Ruben and I am from Chicago. I am
        > fascinated and amazed at the religion of Santeria.
        > Since I was a child there were things that my mother
        > did which I did not understand and now that I am
        > older I see the meanings of the things that she used
        > to do.
        > My mother's best friend, whom I consider una tia,
        > does consultas and she has served as guidance for me
        > in the religion. Everytime I have a question about
        > things in the religion or things that I want to know
        > I ask her. As a result of her consultas and
        > guidance, I have begun the process of learning more
        > about the religion and poniendo obras a los santos
        > para envolvimiento en mi vida.
        > My question is, I have read some about Santeria and
        > Espiritismo. From what I gather the difference is
        > that Santeria, deals with the orishas and
        > Espiritismo, deals with spirits or el muerto. Is the
        > two intertwined?

        First of all. They're NOT MIXED. They work together
        always. In Osha there's a rule "El Muerto Pario al
        Santo" in English this means something like "The Dead
        bring to life the saint". But they work different.

        How important is to know about
        > Espiritismo before initiating into Santeria?

        It depends of your destiny in the Religion. Someone
        should be a very good spritist, some other not. But
        always before you get crowned in Osha you should
        receive something that is called The Spiritual Crown.

        > How do you know you are ready to be initiated into
        > the religion?

        The Santo Asks specificaly when you need to receive
        first your elekes then the warriors and so on. Some
        people never is asked to do so. Other from the
        begining are requested to do it. It depends of your
        troubles, you should remember that the initiations in
        Santeria helps to solve almost any troubles in life.

        How do you find a padrino and madrina?

        The Santo gives it to you. Keep looking. It could be
        an Babalorisha or Iyalorisha or maybe a Babalawo. But
        remember that the Babalao SHOULD BE initiated in Osha.

        > Also, from what I know a boveda is a spiritual
        > altar. What are things that one can do for the
        > altar?

        To pray and to pay atention to your egguns. Your
        ancestors that are already dead. To pay them homage.

        Is one supposed to go to the altar everyday?

        Not necesarily. You can do it any time you want or
        wish but you need to do an Spiritual with your bovedo
        to open it and determine his shape, and the way and
        frecuency to atend it.

      • ElPenguino101@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2002
          hi
          well this is my understand of espiritismo and santeria.  Santeria is primaly with orisha (the santos) but when espiritismo came to play was by a cat named Allan Kardec.  (this next passage is taken o ut of "The secrets of afro cuban diviation; how to cast the dillogun. By ochani lele" Spiritism or espiritismo a phenomenon begun in France by that one cats name and took latin america by stor and was eventually absorbed into santeria has also embraced the spirituality of the orishas in their medimistic work.    the book also stated that later on when followers could not afford the initiation of kariocha (asiento) the formed another form of santeria called "santerismo."  this topic should be addresed with your padrinos (if you have any) in my opion because as diferent ile have different points on this.  but if this is just for info. thats all i know
        • Rafael Guadalupe
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2002
            may the blessings of our ancesters be with us all ,hi
            everyone i just have a little input about santeria and
            espiritismo,to my understanding the muertos are first
            ,they have to be consulted before we take any part in
            santeria ,allen kardek is just one of the tools to
            mediumship,he has nothing to do with santeria ,but
            everything to do with the spirits ,we can not mix both
            ,even though if we really look at it orishas are
            spirits too,but they are different than our ancestral
            spirits,we can not confuse them together ,we also have
            to take in all respect that when we follow santeria we
            have to make sure that we follow espiritismo just the
            same . if it warent for espiritismo ,I believe we
            wouldnt have santeria ,remember that the spirit is
            always first ,for the santo to reach santidad he/she
            had to go through the spirit first ,please check with
            your padrinos always first ,they know whats what ,may
            god bless each and every one of us ,,,,,,,,

            HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
            http://www.hotjobs.com
          • shathariel
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 18, 2002
              in relation to this topic, i was wondering the relationship of palo
              to esperitisma and santeria in your views..

              respectfully
              sathariel