Re: [aleyos-online] I have a question

  • David Bennett
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006

      Dear questioner:  Babalawos stateside and Cubaside are quite similar.  But they are quite different from babas in Africa.  The Cuban character has influenced a lot of Ifa in Santerian Ifa; the cult of machismo is very prevelent; and 95% of American Babalawos are Santerian Ifa.  (Cuban).

      Among some differences,

      The African Babalawo prays with his opuele held directly to his mouth very softly at the beginning of a divination system

      The African babalawo is usually more calm and collected and concerned with "iwa pele" ("calm and gentle character")

      The African Babalawo uses more tools on his Ipon Ifa (table of ifa) for divination, that you do not see on a Cuban Table, things like Amethyst stones and plastic beads and many different varieties of goodies that he can choose from for different purposes.

      In divination with some ATR babalawos, you can ask Orunmila questions without wording them.

      In African Ifa, Orunmila is always covered and he often sits with Osain.

      In Africa, Orunmila looks more like a prenda than it does like a wooden recepticle you see in Cuban Ifa.

      I believe the African Babalawo is less concerned with issues of homosexuality, past or present.  But at the deepest level, I may be wrong.

      This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Cuban Babas, there are incredible ones.

      David Bennett

      In a

    • P
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
        Thank You, for your response and all who have tried to shed light
        thank you... Very much. I am so glad that there are so many people
        willing to share info...

        Maferefun Eggun!

        --- In aleyos-online@yahoogroups.com, David Bennett <777olosa@...>