Re: [Alchemy] Nine roses

  • dkl37@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2003
      On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 21:46:20 -0000 mado_ca3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      writes:

      > I have been trying to identify the meaning of nine (9) golden
      > roses in a crown depicted above twin lions, one gold, the other
      > silver (17th century). Also, would the meaning change at all if the
      > twin figures were a silver-white unicorn and a golden lion instead?
      >
      > Any idea anyone?

      Hi FB. It would help to know where you have seen the emblem in
      particular. The number nine often signifies completion of some sort or
      the end of a cycle among other things. The answer to your last question
      should become obvious after more thought, if it hasn't occured to you
      already. ;-)
      Best, Dale

      Dale Lloyd: http://www.and-oar.org/dalelloyd.html

      and/OAR: http://www.and-oar.org/

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
    • mado_ca3
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2003
        Hello Dale:

        Thanks for your reply. This is an emblem that is found in
        Montreal (Canada), above the entrance gates of a Catholic priest
        seminary built ca. 1685. In a 1836 drawing, we clearly see one
        unicorn and one lion facing each other with a crown of 9 golden
        roses above. But sometime after 1836, the unicorn disappeared!
        The emblem was modified to show twin lions - one silvery white
        (upon the left), the other gold. But the crown of 9 golden roses
        has never changed. Of course, no heraldry experts ave any idea
        what it means! (note that the unicorn was on the left side, and
        the lion, on the right one - exactly like the Scottish royal seal,
        while the British Crown emblem shows the unicorn on the right
        side.)

        I know the meaning of gold and silver, and I know about the
        unicorn too (Mercurius). it is the overall design that intrigues me.
        But I am not sure about the 9 golden roses on top of both
        animals. I know about number 9 (3X3, triple perfection or three
        stages of the Great Work, like the three throws of the dice), and I
        know about the meaning of roses -- but nine golden ones? And
        what about the the overall design?

        Help me here ! :-)

        Francine

        > Hi FB. It would help to know where you have seen the emblem
        in
        > particular. The number nine often signifies completion of some
        sort or
        > the end of a cycle among other things. The answer to your last
        question
        > should become obvious after more thought, if it hasn't occured
        to you
        > already. ;-)
        > Best, Dale

        ===

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2003
          What are you people smoking? Do any of you work/be kept/have any reason to not be caged?