RED CROSSBILL Response

  • Tyler Hicks
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      ALBirders,

      I thought it best to reply to the entire listserv on this subject as so many
      people expressed interest. I'm sorry about not responding earlier but I
      didn't have a chance to get to a computer over the weekend.
      Here are directions to the Red Crossbill. Go on Highway 80 towards Tuskegee.
      Turn left onto Forest Road 937 (watch for Wildlife Viewing Area
      sign).Continue on this road and park at its intersection with Forest Road
      938 on the right. Forest Road 938 is gated. Walk on 938 for about 1 mile
      until you come to a T-intersection. Go right through the kudzu under the
      gate. Continue on this road for about 1 mile or more until you come to a
      trail on your left, look for a cut in the forest that resembles a powerline
      cut. Take this trail, it will eventually widen into a road, for about 1/4 to
      1/2 mile. It is in these pines I saw the crossbills.
      I will give GPS coordinates tomorrow. Good luck to all those who go after
      these birds. Remember to bring lots of water as it gets hot in a hurry.

      Cheers,

      Tyler Hicks