Northern Rough-Wings in Fruehauf Trailer

  • jhjohnston@mmm.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2000
      Someone posted a couple of weeks ago, I believe on TN-bird, about Northern
      rough-winged swallows that had nested on his side porch or somewhere. The
      description and location sounded like a phoebe, so I wondered if some confusion
      existed, as I thought rough-wings drilled holes in banks.

      I verified to my own satisfaction this morning that rough-wings are nesting
      under a Fruehauf trailer that stays parked at our dock permanently. The nest
      is located near the front of the trailer, in a hollow space around the fifth
      wheel connection. The space is accessed by several vents at the sides.
      Actually, I haven't seen the nest, but have seen the birds repeatedly enter that
      hole, which I took as sufficient circumstantial evidence. I think these birds
      having been doing this for several years.

      Jud Johnston
      Winfield, AL
    • David A. Cimprich
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2000
        Jud,
        About 15 years ago, I was studying phoebes nesting under small bridges.
        While searching for phoebe nests, I found a Northern Rough-winged Swallow
        nest in a phoebe-like location. It was under an old stone bridge. One
        of the stones had fallen out leaving a recess about 10 inches deep, 10
        inches high and 16 inches deep. The swallows put their nest in the back
        corner of this hollow. They successfully fledged nestlings, but I don't
        remember how many.

        David Cimprich
        Dept. of Biological Sci.
        Univ. of Southern Mississippi
        Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5018
      • Billy Dunbar
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2000
          jhjohnston@... wrote:

          > Someone posted a couple of weeks ago, I believe on TN-bird, about Northern
          > rough-winged swallows that had nested on his side porch or somewhere. The
          > description and location sounded like a phoebe, so I wondered if some confusion
          > existed, as I thought rough-wings drilled holes in banks.
          >
          > I verified to my own satisfaction this morning that rough-wings are nesting
          > under a Fruehauf trailer that stays parked at our dock permanently. The nest
          > is located near the front of the trailer, in a hollow space around the fifth
          > wheel connection. The space is accessed by several vents at the sides.
          > Actually, I haven't seen the nest, but have seen the birds repeatedly enter that
          > hole, which I took as sufficient circumstantial evidence. I think these birds
          > having been doing this for several years.
          >
          > Jud Johnston
          > Winfield, AL

          > This list is sponsored by the Alabama
          > Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
          > as a service to the birding community. AOS
          > does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
          > by the members of this discussion group. Nor
          > does AOS support or endorse the advertising
          > provided by the OneList list service.

          I think that nesting under "Fruehauf trailers" is common for this
          swallow. I have occasion to visit many yards where they are parked and,
          almost always, there are rough-wings flying around and under them. I
          also saw a nest in a hole where a recessed porch light had fallen from
          it's mounting. In this area, they also nest under bridges with Barn
          Swallows.
          --

          regards,
          Billy

          ^V^ Watkinsville, Ga. U.S.A. ^V^

          American Birding Association <http://www.americanbirding.org>
          Georgia Ornithological Society <http://www.gos.org/index.html>
          Cats Indoors! <http://abcbirds.org/catindoo.htm>
        • Bikesnbirds@cs.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000
            TNBIRD

            I had rough-wings nesting in the tail pipe of a school bus. The bus was run
            about once a week and each time the nest was blown out the back! They tried
            about 7 times to nest here.

            stephen stewart
            rome, ga
          • RubyThroat@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000
              wdunbar1030@... writes:

              << I think that nesting under "Fruehauf trailers" is common for this
              swallow. I have occasion to visit many yards where they are parked and,
              almost always, there are rough-wings flying around and under them. I
              also saw a nest in a hole where a recessed porch light had fallen from
              it's mounting. In this area, they also nest under bridges with Barn
              Swallows.
              --

              regards,
              Billy >>
              Billy Dunbar and Albirders
              The only successful attempts at attracting Northern Rough-winged Swallows to
              nest boxes that I have seen was done using elongated saltine cracker tins.
              These tall, square containers with lids were mounted on their sides under an
              eave of a one story commercial building. The entrance to the "nest box" was
              a bushed (rolled edge) opening cut in the BOTTOM of the metal container. The
              birds seem to love to enter the nest cavity from underneath when possible.
              It would seem rather simple to make and elongated wooden nest box with a
              bottom opening.

              Bob Sargent
              Trussville, Alabama
            • Billy Dunbar
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2000
                RubyThroat@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 6/2/00 5:09:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
                > wdunbar1030@... writes:
                >
                > << I think that nesting under "Fruehauf trailers" is common for this
                > swallow. I have occasion to visit many yards where they are parked and,
                > almost always, there are rough-wings flying around and under them. I
                > also saw a nest in a hole where a recessed porch light had fallen from
                > it's mounting. In this area, they also nest under bridges with Barn
                > Swallows.
                > --
                >

                > regards,
                > Billy >>
                > Billy Dunbar and Albirders
                > The only successful attempts at attracting Northern Rough-winged Swallows to
                > nest boxes that I have seen was done using elongated saltine cracker tins.
                > These tall, square containers with lids were mounted on their sides under an
                > eave of a one story commercial building. The entrance to the "nest box" was
                > a bushed (rolled edge) opening cut in the BOTTOM of the metal container. The
                > birds seem to love to enter the nest cavity from underneath when possible.
                > It would seem rather simple to make and elongated wooden nest box with a
                > bottom opening.
                >
                > Bob Sargent
                > Trussville, Alabama

                > Remember the good 'ol days
                >
                > This list is sponsored by the Alabama
                > Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
                > as a service to the birding community. AOS
                > does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
                > by the members of this discussion group. Nor
                > does AOS support or endorse the advertising
                > provided by the OneList list service.

                Good to hear from you, Bob. Remember also the ones that nested in an
                open pipe that went through the back wall of Richards Birdwatcher Supply
                store? This is the one where you banded Ga.s first black-chinned.