weekend birding prospects NW FL and AL

  • Lucy and Bob Duncan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2012
      Hi all,

      Looks like the weather has conspired against birders and this spring is shaping up like last spring, good for birds and not for us. A flat pressure gradient in the Gulf has not been conducive to large movements out of the tropics, though birds have been trickling through.This is true both here in NW FL and as far west as LA. However, if the marine forecast holds true, the typical spring pattern will emerge, with strong high pressure settling over the W. Atlantic and the East Coast and a low pressure system developing over the Great Plains.

      The marine forecast calls for increasing SE winds starting tomorrow and lasting through Tuesday. I think Neotropical migrants will start moving in good numbers, BUT that movement will be, as usual, toward the TX - LA coasts. However, there is a glimmer of hope, for a front in the low will be moving our way and by Tuesday, a 40% chance of rain is forecast for the Pensacola area. Not the best of chances but better than nothing. That could change either way as the forecast is refined.

      There is an upside to strong winds out of the SE. This could bring West Indian migrants such as Cape May and Blackpoll Warblers over this way and maybe a Black-whiskered Vireo or two. And if we're really lucky, maybe a Fork-tailed Flycatcher or another super rarity!

      Bob Duncan
      Gulf Breeze, Santa Rosa Co. in the w. Panhandle of FL

    • RubyThroat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2012
        Bob and Albirds
        I think Bob Duncan's assessment of the migration patterns have been pretty
        much on the money this spring. I certainly appears that some (many?) of
        the massive flights of birds did occur well to the west of the Alabama/NW
        Florida coastal areas.

        At Fort Morgan, we ceased operations Thursday morning early after it was
        apparent that there were few new migrants in our woods. Our total of birds
        banded was only slightly over 1100 birds; species totals were lower than
        normal as well.

        I would like to publicly thank Mr. Brian Hill, the Director at Fort
        Morgan, for his patience in handling an absolute overflow of visitors to our
        banding sites. Due to a lack of personnel to collect entrance fees, some much
        needed revenue at the Fort was not collected. Our crew of volunteers
        strongly suggested that early arriving guests return to the admission booth and
        pay later when the booth was being manned. Many did just that without any
        grumbling.

        With Alabama's tight budget Mr. Hill's job is likely to continue to be a
        challenge.

        I would also like to express my appreciation to Brian for leaving our much
        needed bird habitat intact at this critical Stopover Site at Fort Morgan.

        Good luck all and good birding.
        Bob and Martha Sargent, Fred Bassettr and the volunteer crew of The
        Hummer/Bird Study Group