Fort Morgan today, Thursday-longish

  • RubyThroat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2012
      Albirders
      We started the day with rain, as usual. We had several rain events over
      the course of the day, with periods of closed nets as the rain continued off
      and on.

      It was a better day than the last couple of days, but no records of any
      kind are threatened by our lack of birds.

      There were problems regarding the parking along Highway 180. In
      frustration, the Fort Officials put up yellow "off-limits" tape along the Highway
      near the Stable location. That has worked quite well for the most part.
      The original no-parking signs are not present along the main road. Most of
      our visitors are not birders, and most are first time visitors. Almost none
      of them knew of any no-parking restrictions and much of the promised no
      parking signs were not present. The very small, friendly cartoon-type signs
      failed to convey the message desired by our friend Mr. Hill. We spent much
      of our time today asking our new guests to please go west past the
      collection booth, pay their entrance fee (not a parking fee), then proceed to the
      not well designated parking area at the east end of the old runway. This
      is directly across the road from our Stable area site.

      I am asking all birders and known visitors to our banding sites to please
      comply with the rules of visiting the Fort. This means pay the fee, get a
      decal and post it on the passenger side window of your cars. The decal can
      be purchased at the booth were the entrance fee is collected. If there is
      no one in the collection fee booth when you arrive, please pay the fee
      when the booth attendant arrives. Seasons passes and special birder permits
      should be available at the booth.

      Note, the crew of HBSG is taking a lot of heat for this confusion. We are
      not the cause of the changes. I ask that you make every effort to abide
      by the parking restrictions and the fee-payment requirements. Beyond that,
      I have no suggestions and no further comments to make.

      Best birds today were Golden-winged Warbler and a couple more Painted
      Buntings.

      Good birding guys. Sorry for the negative tone in this message. Martha
      and I and the great crew are banders and birders and not in the arena of
      politics. We have survived the graft and hair-brained schemes of past
      administrators here at the Fort by tending our business which is bird banding and
      preservation of the valuable habitat here at Fort Morgan. We cannot
      possible convey this message to all that come to the Fort.

      If I can help contact me at the address above with short messages if you
      wish. I will help if I can. You are on your own dear friends.

      Bob Sargent, President
      The Hummer/Bird Study Group, Inc
      PO Box 250
      Clay, Alabama, 35048