Proper Address

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2000
      My story is set in Scotland in 1297. When I refer to Robert The
      Bruce in my synopsis and later in my mss, wouldn't I use the correct
      forms of proper address? Ex:
      Robert The Bruce, Earl of Carrick
      Addressed on social correspondence: The Earl of Carrick
      Addressed in speech: Lord Carrick the first time then my lord, or more
      informally, Carrick.
      Referred to in speech: The Lord Carrick.
      Thank you for any guidance in advance.
      Diana Cosby
      cosby@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2000
        At 5:55 PM -0700 6/28/2000, Jennifer Smith wrote:
        >One thing you will have to be careful of, is the dates. Robert the
        >Bruce (later Robert I) was actually the son of Robert the Bruce,
        >claimant to the throne, and I believe, Earl of Carrick. Robert the
        >Younger, I think, would have inherited the title, but not until his
        >father died(?).

        While normally this is true of titles, in this case the elder Bruce
        passed the Earldom on to his son (the future king) *before* the elder
        Bruce died. Details, including when exactly this was done, would be
        in Barrow's _Robert Bruce ..._

        > Or maybe he held it in his own right. I'm sorry I
        >can't answer the details for you, but I'm on a deadline with my book!
        >But you'll probably want to check out those dates. (Lord would still be
        >appropriate, however, even if he had not yet inherited the earldom.)
        >
        >I also think he was commonly known as "The Bruce" until taking up titles
        >as sovereign (or soon to be), which was common among leaders of the clan
        >and their eldest sons.

        Actually, in Barbour's Bruce, the "the X" usage appears to be common
        for heads and other prominent members of *non-Gaelic* families (such
        as Bruce, Balliol, etc.). Keep in mind that circa 1300 "clans" were a
        feature specifically of Gaelic culture and not all Scots were Gaels.
        (Another thing to keep in mind is that Barbour wrote his "Bruce" in
        1375 or so -- so it may be that the usage "the X" wasn't even in use
        during the lifetime of King Robert I but came in later. But we have
        no easy way to determine this either way. Barbour's Bruce is the
        closest we can get to Scots language practice and usage in earlier
        periods.)

        Sharon
        ska Eafric
        Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
        Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
        http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
        The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
        Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
        Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/
      • Jennifer Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2000
          Diana --

          One thing you will have to be careful of, is the dates. Robert the
          Bruce (later Robert I) was actually the son of Robert the Bruce,
          claimant to the throne, and I believe, Earl of Carrick. Robert the
          Younger, I think, would have inherited the title, but not until his
          father died(?). Or maybe he held it in his own right. I'm sorry I
          can't answer the details for you, but I'm on a deadline with my book!
          But you'll probably want to check out those dates. (Lord would still be
          appropriate, however, even if he had not yet inherited the earldom.)

          I also think he was commonly known as "The Bruce" until taking up titles
          as sovereign (or soon to be), which was common among leaders of the clan
          and their eldest sons.

          I hope this helps!

          Jennifer
        • Julie Stackable
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2010
            At least by the 15th century, the courtesy title for the heir of a Baron is 'Master'. Master is a good all purpose courtesy title for just about anything anyway. The general way it was used to indicate the heir is Master of [main lands to be inherited] which in the case of the Moray family was I think Petty, so Andrew de Moray might be known as the Master of Petty. You might check the Scots genealogies though to see if the younger Andrew was invested with any of the properties before his father's death, he might have been for such things as a wedding present, etc. The Morays had a lot of property and he might have been Lord of such and such in his own right because of property that had been given to him in his father's lifetime, therefore he would be more properly known as Lord Andrew of whatever.....

            N.B. Probably doesn't matter as regards your novel, but Moray is more generally pronounced more like 'Murray' is today...

            Hope that helps....

            Julie Stackable/Margaret Hepburn

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 18, 2010
              Julie Stackable wrote:

              >At least by the 15th century, the courtesy title for the heir of a Baron is 'Master'. Master is a good all purpose courtesy title for just about anything anyway. The general way it was used to indicate the heir is Master of [main lands to be inherited] which in the case of the Moray family was I think Petty, so Andrew de Moray might be known as the Master of Petty. You might check the Scots genealogies though to see if the younger Andrew was invested with any of the properties before his father's death, he might have been for such things as a wedding present, etc. The Morays had a lot of property and he might have been Lord of such and such in his own right because of property that had been given to him in his father's lifetime, therefore he would be more properly known as Lord Andrew of whatever.....

              ~Thank you so much for explaining, Julie. I'm siding with you that Lord
              Andrew is proper for my story. Thanks a ton. Hope your holidays are
              fabulous! :)