Re: [albanach] New Subscribee

  • eoganog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 2:42 PM
      Hi, and welcome to the group! Please feel free to ask any questions you may
      have here in this forum. We have many excellent and helpful people on the
      list who will be happy to help you, and many who are eager to learn from you
      as well. An excellent place to start, as you have found out, is in our
      archives, so that you can see what we have discussed before.

      Another good place to start is with the web pages of some of our members.
      Lady Effrica maintains an invaluable resource on the web at:
      http://www.medievalscotland.org

      I also keep a listing of links to very helpful Scottish history and culture
      websites, as well as some Norse web sites (my lady being a good Viking
      woman!) on my links page at:
      http://albanach.homepage.com/links

      Welcome--we all look forward to much good conversation with you.
      Aye,
      Eogan Og
      list admin

      Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn
      Order of the Pearl * Order of the Phoenix Eye
      Militant Society of Bards
      HTTP://ALBANACH.HOMEPAGE.COM
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31 11:19 PM
        At 5:42 PM -0400 5/31/2000, eoganog@... wrote:
        >Another good place to start is with the web pages of some of our members.
        >Lady Effrica maintains an invaluable resource on the web at:
        >http://www.medievalscotland.org

        Small correction -- I'm not a Lady in the SCA. (And I shouldn't
        become one any time soon, as I've only been to four events in my
        entire SCA career, only one of them in my current kingdom. ;-) Oh,
        and the only place I've seen the -a ending is on the Latin spelling,
        Africa -- the Effric & other Scots spellings are -a less, as is the
        Gaelic spelling...

        Euphrick

        PS Welcome, Bri/g!
        Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
        Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
        http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
        The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
        Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
        Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/
      • eoganog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
          krossa@... writes:

          > Small correction -- I'm not a Lady in the SCA. (And I shouldn't
          > become one any time soon, as I've only been to four events in my
          > entire SCA career, only one of them in my current kingdom. ;-)

          Well, that is indeed a shame because the amount of assistance you have given
          to people in the SCA researching their Scottish personas, on this list and
          through your web page, has been great. One of the signs that someone should
          recieve a title is when people mistakenly think you already have it!

          > Oh,
          > and the only place I've seen the -a ending is on the Latin spelling,
          > Africa -- the Effric & other Scots spellings are -a less, as is the
          > Gaelic spelling...

          True, only the Latin would have the -a. Mea culpa. (I was called into court
          recently and the heraldy, attempting to use my Gaelic title of "Tighearn",
          equivalent to "Lord", butchered the pronunciation, so I would up being
          "Tigger"! I didn't know if I should bounce into court or not! lol)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
            At 8:25 AM -0400 6/1/2000, eoganog@... wrote:
            >In a message dated 6/1/00 3:09:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            >krossa@... writes:
            >
            >> Small correction -- I'm not a Lady in the SCA. (And I shouldn't
            >> become one any time soon, as I've only been to four events in my
            >> entire SCA career, only one of them in my current kingdom. ;-)
            >
            >Well, that is indeed a shame because the amount of assistance you have given
            >to people in the SCA researching their Scottish personas, on this list and
            >through your web page, has been great. One of the signs that someone should
            >recieve a title is when people mistakenly think you already have it!

            But, in my case, I honestly believe that it is not appropriate when I
            have not been physically present at events. Some people in the
            kingdom ought to be able to recognize my face as well as my name
            before I get an award ;-)

            >True, only the Latin would have the -a. Mea culpa. (I was called into court
            >recently and the heraldy, attempting to use my Gaelic title of "Tighearn",
            >equivalent to "Lord", butchered the pronunciation, so I would up being
            >"Tigger"! I didn't know if I should bounce into court or not! lol)

            Now there's a mental image!

            Eafric, almost a pure Cyber-SCAdian