more on bagpipes

  • Rowen G
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      Well, as mentioned, I have been perusing a copy of Francis
      Collinson's _The Bagpipe: The History of a Musical Instrument_
      (Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1975) obtained via inter-library loan.

      Found some interesting bits, some of which I thought I'd share here.

      Per Collinson:

      "Two allusions to the bagpipe occur in the poem attributed to King
      James I of Scotland (1424-37), "Peblis to the Play." These are in
      stanza V:

      The bagpype blew and thai out threw,
      Out of the town's untold.

      [They came out of the town in untold numbers at the sound of the
      bagpipe.]

      And in stanza XX:

      With that, Will Swane cam sueitand out
      Ane meikle miller man;
      'Gif I sall dance, have done, lat se,
      Blaw up the bagpype than,
      The schamon's [salmon's] dance I mon begin.' "

      Also Collinson refers to:

      "Another late fourteenth- or early fifteenth-century allusion to the
      instrument may be found in the last verse of William
      Dunbar's 'Testament of Mr Andrew Kennedy':

      I will nae Priests for me shall sing,
      Dies illa, dies irae,
      Nor zit [yet] nae Bells for me to ring,
      Sicut semper solet fieri
      Bot [only] a Bag-pyp to play a Spring
      Et unum Ale-wyfe ante me
      Instead of Torches for to bring,
      Quator lagunas cervisiae...

      Another anonymous fifteenth century Scots poem of 'Cockelbie's Sow'
      has the lines, 'Clarus the lang pype/Playit on a bag-pype.' "

      The latter quotes were from 'The Bannatyne MS' ed. W. Tod Ritchie,
      Scottish Texts Society.

      Considering that it is 1 am on Tuesday here, I'll post the rest later!

      Rowen Brithwallt