Re: [albanach] Scottish Brew

  • Drew Neill
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000
      "Queen Elizabeth's own royal recipe for mead has survived to this day,
      although no winemaker in his senseswould want to make such a sickly
      concotion. We have, however, included a modern adaption of it which will
      prove most satisfactory insofar as the herbs (for it is really a
      metheglin) are infused in the finished mead. This enables the winemaker
      to excersize more control over how much herb flavor is imparted to the
      drink."

      Acton, Bryan and Peter Duncan. "Making Mead."Ann Arbor, Michigan: Argus
      Books Ltd, 1996.

      Queen Elizabeth's Mead:
      Ingredients:
      3 lb. heather honey
      10g (1/4 oz) Tartaric Acid
      15g (1/2 oz) Malic Acid
      1 gal Water
      Madiera Yeast
      1/15th oz Tanin
      Nutrients
      Herbs as detailed below

      Method:
      Dissolve honey, acid, and Tanin along with nutrients in 5 pts. warm
      water. Then add 2 pts. cold waterand 100 ppm sulphite (2 CAmpden
      tablets). After 24 hours add the yeast starter and thereafter proceed as
      directed in the basic procedure (this is described earlier in the book).
      After the wine is 3-6 months old suspend a muslin bag containing 15g (1/2
      oz) Rosemary, 15g (1/2 oz) Bay leaves, 15g (1/2) oz thyme, and 10g (1/4
      oz) sweet briar. Taste the wine daily until the flavor is satisfactory,
      then remove the bag of herbs. The wine should then be matured for another
      6 months and may possibly requirefining in order to remove any haze
      produced by the herbs.

      Hope that helped y'all out. someday I'll make more and I'm anxious to try
      this one!
      Aye,
      Drew

      ******
      Drew Neill Elon College (336)
      586-9278
      History/Religious Studies Alpha Phi Omega Pledge Educator
      History was written by those who have hanged heroes.
      ******

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Rowen G
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        --- In albanach@egroups.com, Drew Neill <janeill1@j...> wrote:
        > "Queen Elizabeth's own royal recipe for mead has survived to
        this day,
        <snip>
        > Acton, Bryan and Peter Duncan. "Making Mead."Ann Arbor, Michigan:
        Argus
        > Books Ltd, 1996.

        That's a pretty useful book (I have that one, too. :)

        Actually, I was looking for any sort of Scottish brewing recipes that
        might be out there. I've been fortunate enough to locate a supply
        for (and obtain) some heather honey, and am just starting a batch of
        mead this week.

        Rowen
      • Jody S. Allen
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000
          Here are some site for Heather ale recipes.

          http://www.nbrewer.com/wwwboard/messages/1220.html

          http://www.breworld.com/homebrew/recipes/s2.html

          This last site is one of Legends Ltd which produces Fraoch Heather Ale in
          Scotland which I had the pleasure of having in Scotland last fall and what a
          wonderful warm glow it left<vbg>. I know you can get it in the US and well
          worth a try plus some of their other choices.
          http://www.legendslimited.com/heather.html were also quite good.

          Jody