[albanach] Destrier

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20 2:12 AM
      I looked in "Steel Bonnets," "The Medieval Wordbook," and "A Dictionary
      of Chivalry," but I can't confirm if the term *destrier* was in use in
      Scotland in the l300's? I know the English used the term for their
      war-horses, but was it confined to the English? Thank you very much in
      advance for any assistance.
      Diana Cosby
      cosby@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20 3:36 AM
        At 5:12 AM -0500 2/20/2000, Diana Cosby wrote:
        >I looked in "Steel Bonnets," "The Medieval Wordbook," and "A Dictionary
        >of Chivalry," but I can't confirm if the term *destrier* was in use in
        >Scotland in the l300's? I know the English used the term for their
        >war-horses, but was it confined to the English? Thank you very much in
        >advance for any assistance.

        You're may have a problem determining this specifically for Scotland
        because you only start getting full texts in Scots/English in
        Scotland from about 1375. So unless it just happens that one of those
        early texts (1375-1400) contains the word, you won't know for sure.
        The Concise Scots Dictionary doesn't seem to have anything -- you may
        wish to check the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. Generally,
        these two works are the place to go for questions about medieval and
        early modern Scots vocabulary, with DOST, for the letters that it has
        published, being the more complete. (Your best bet for finding the
        term, if its not in CSD or DOST, may be the earliest full text in
        Scots, Barbour's "Bruce", which is currently in print in a very
        affordable version edited by Duncan with the original Scots and
        modern English on facing pages.)

        However, in this early period it is not unreasonable to speculate
        that if the term was in use in English (in England) it may also have
        been in use in Scots/English in Scotland.

        Note, however, that it may not be at all significant if your
        characters are Gaels rather than Scots/English speakers. (That is, if
        your characters are supposed to be speaking Gaelic -- and I don't
        recall what you've indicated -- then whatever you write in English is
        a translation anyway. Then, of course, the question would be were the
        Gaels using any kind of horse that could reasonably be translated
        "destrier"...)

        Africa
        mka Sharon
        Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
        Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
        http://www.stanford.edu/~skrossa/medievalscotland/
        The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
        Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
        Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20 3:43 AM
          Sharon,
          Thank you very much for your reply and the references. Would you mind
          if I passed your answer along to another writer who is working in this
          same time frame/setting?
          Diana Cosby
          cosby@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20 2:13 PM
            At 6:43 AM -0500 2/20/2000, Diana Cosby wrote:
            >Sharon,
            > Thank you very much for your reply and the references. Would you mind
            >if I passed your answer along to another writer who is working in this
            >same time frame/setting?
            >Diana Cosby
            >cosby@...

            Responded to privately.