[albanach] Re: Nigel Tranter

  • JBRMM266@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 13, 2000
      May his soul rest quietly, and may he tell and hear many a good tale in the
      Land Beyond
    • RMelhem@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2000
        <<Oh how horrible,
        I had just found him as an author, and enjoyed looking at Scotland through
        his eyes.
        Darn rat it.
        Do you know how he passed away? Heck i did not even know he was sick.>>
        From what I understand he passed away peacefully in his sleep, no illness was mentioned.
        Rania
      • cathal@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13, 2000

          From what I understand he passed away peacefully in his sleep, no illness was mentioned.
          Rania

          Mr. Tranter was 90 years of age. Given that as a point
          of consideration, such a manner of passing was a fitting final
          dignity to a life well lived. The only topping consummation would
          be that he had a wee dram ere he slept.

          Cathal.

          Scotland c. 503-1603 AD. Post messages to albanach@egroups.com. Alter
          your account or view the archives at www.egroups.com/group/albanach

          Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
          You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
          up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/332/4/_/39535/_/947803236/

          -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=albanach&m=1
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 26, 2000
            Has anyone read any of Nigel Tranter's books? What did you think of
            them as far as accuracy for a book to buy for research? Thank you very
            much in advance for your comments.
            Diana Cosby
            cosby@...
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 26, 2000
              At 10:04 AM -0400 4/26/2000, Diana Cosby wrote:
              > Has anyone read any of Nigel Tranter's books? What did you think of
              >them as far as accuracy for a book to buy for research? Thank you very
              >much in advance for your comments.

              His novels? They're novels -- depending on your tastes, great for
              reading for pleasure, not a good idea for research. As with many
              novelists, unless the error happens to be in a field you've studied,
              you cannot easily tell what he made up and what he got from history.
              *All* novelists invent things, even if they try to stick to
              historical facts, because very often we simply don't know all the
              historical facts and details a novelist needs.

              As for his straight histories -- he's not too bad for someone writing
              for the popular market, but there are many better, so why not just
              skip him and go right to the good ones? (You should notice a
              recurrent theme here -- go to the quality histories used by the
              academic historians and just don't bother with the popular histories,
              which tend to perpetuate old theories and errors, not take advantage
              of more recent scholarship, and oversimplify to the point of error.
              Why read an oversimplification of Barrow's book, which may have
              introduced errors not present in Barrow, when you can read Barrow
              yourself?)

              Sharon
              Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
              Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
              http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
              The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
              Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
              Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/