[albanach] Re: St. Andrew's Day

  • Leairna
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 1999
      Thank you so much for always keeping us abreast of who is doing what and why
      days.

      I still, enjoy this list more than any other i belong to, mostly because of
      the family type atmosphere, and how everyone is always so kind and helpfull.

      Take care,
      Happy St. Andrews day,
      Lady Leairna

      On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:12:35 EST, EoganOg@... wrote:

      > It's November 30. Happy St. Andrew's Day, everyone!
      >
      > St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland, although he never set foot
      there.
      > There are many possible reasons why he became Scotland's patron, but he
      has
      > been revered there since the early Middle Ages at least. His tie to
      Scotland
      > can be most easily seen in Scotland's national flag, the Saltire, or St.
      > Andrew's Cross. Even the Reformers, who had little use for saints, clung
      > this as a symbol of Scottish nationalism. Its origins as a national flag
      are
      > uncertain, but the story most often repeated is that of King Angus
      leading
      > the Picts into battle with the English at Athelstaneford in the 8th
      century.
      > He spent the night before the battle in prayer and dreamt that St. Andrew

      > appeared promising success. The next day the X shaped cross of St.
      Andrew
      > appeared in the clouds against the blue sky and inspired the Picts to
      > victory. Since then the white saltire on a blue field has been the
      banner of
      > the Scot. We do not know how much truth there is to the story, but we do

      > know that since the 1200s the St. Andrew's cross has been used in
      Scotland as
      > a national banner.
      >
      > So, how many of us might be looking up in the sky today to see if we
      notice
      > any X shaped clouds, eh? ;-)
      >
      > Aye,
      > Eogan

      > Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn, CP
      > http://www.albanach.homepage.com/eogan.html
      > Sangster of Scotland and Atlantia
      > Chronicler of the Militant Society of Bards
      > Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
      > mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
      > ALBANACH Egroup (a discussion group for things Scottish 503-1603AD)
      > http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach
      > "A! Fredome is a noble thing. . ." --John Barbour in The Bruce, 1375

      > Scotland c. 503-1603 AD. Post messages to albanach@egroups.com. Alter
      > your account or view the archives at www.egroups.com/group/albanach

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=albanach&m=1

      Falling in love is SO hard on the knees.
      (Aerosmith)

    • Ann M Morton
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
        <snip> Ranulf wrote: To all my fellow Scots and those who wish they were, Happy St. Andrew,s Day!

        Ranulf and all,
        Greetings unto you. If a reader is not Scots, they should certainly wish that they were! Thank you for your good wishes!
        Marsaili

        "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo
        can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when
        the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones
        at the back that are killed first This natural selection is
        good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed
        and health of the whole group keeps improving by the
        regular killing of the weakest members. In much the
        same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
        slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we
        know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest
        and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular
        consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells,
        making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.
        That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." - Cliff Clavin

      • rowen_g
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
          And a good one to you all. :-)

          Rowen Brithwallt