[albanach] Re: Tartan Question

  • EoganOg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 1999
      In a message dated 10/19/99 3:39:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Simone89@... writes:

      > I'm making tartan cummerbunds for an upcoming wedding. The pattern is
      > supposed to be McFadden which is a sept of Maclaine of Lochbuie..... . The
      > tartan in the books I have is scarlet, with blue and yellow. The tartan I
      > received to make these is navy with green, red, and narrow white lines. Is
      > there somewhere I can verify that this is also a tartan for McFadden. I'd
      > hate to make these and have the groom say??? They are out of state and I
      > won't have time to redo them if it's wrong. Where can I research this
      tartan?

      > Thanks
      > Simone

      The tartan you received is called MacFadzean and is the appropriate family
      tartan for the MacFaddens. The MacLaine of Lochbuie is the red one you
      described, which is also appropriate as the MacFaddens were associated with
      the MacLaines.

      Please keep in mind that this mailing list is for things historic--not modern
      tartan issues. However, that being said, if you do have questions and
      concerns about modern tartans, please contact me privately. ;-) Go to
      www.scottishtartans.org to see the tartan museum and gift shop where I work
      as curator. I'd appreciate if any modern tartan questions were sent to me
      via my work address at tartans@....

      Advertisement done now--we now return you to medieval Scotland. ;-)
      Aye,
      Eogan Og
      mka Matt Newsome, tartan historian