[albanach] Re: Tartan Question

  • jssloan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 1999
      Dear Simone,

      Without seeing a color picture I can only guess as to what you actually
      received. A lot of tartans have both a dress tartan--usually a white or red
      background, and a hunting sett--which is a darker background. Most tartan
      books show the dress tartan unless there is only one tartan for the name and
      it is predominately dark.

      So I am assuming, that when the tartan for Maclaine of Lochbuie was ordered,
      just the name was given without spicifying whether it was the dress or
      hunting tartan. I know there is a red and a dark blue one for Maclaine of
      Lochbuie.

      I would suggest using most any search engine and search for "Scottish
      tartans" and you should find a number of web sites that have colored
      pictures of various tartans. When doing a search, be sure to specify
      "MacLaine of Lochbuie, hunting."

      One good source you might want to look up is the Scottish Tartans Museum in
      North Carolina.

      I hope this has been of some help in clarifying the mystery for you. If you
      have any further questions, please feel free to write and ask. I used to
      work in a Scottish import store so I am familiar with many tartans. Also,
      tartans have been a big part of my Scottish heritage research.

      Best of luck,
      Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 1999
        In a message dated 10/19/99 3:39:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        Simone89@... writes:

        > I'm making tartan cummerbunds for an upcoming wedding. The pattern is
        > supposed to be McFadden which is a sept of Maclaine of Lochbuie..... . The
        > tartan in the books I have is scarlet, with blue and yellow. The tartan I
        > received to make these is navy with green, red, and narrow white lines. Is
        > there somewhere I can verify that this is also a tartan for McFadden. I'd
        > hate to make these and have the groom say??? They are out of state and I
        > won't have time to redo them if it's wrong. Where can I research this
        tartan?

        > Thanks
        > Simone

        The tartan you received is called MacFadzean and is the appropriate family
        tartan for the MacFaddens. The MacLaine of Lochbuie is the red one you
        described, which is also appropriate as the MacFaddens were associated with
        the MacLaines.

        Please keep in mind that this mailing list is for things historic--not modern
        tartan issues. However, that being said, if you do have questions and
        concerns about modern tartans, please contact me privately. ;-) Go to
        www.scottishtartans.org to see the tartan museum and gift shop where I work
        as curator. I'd appreciate if any modern tartan questions were sent to me
        via my work address at tartans@....

        Advertisement done now--we now return you to medieval Scotland. ;-)
        Aye,
        Eogan Og
        mka Matt Newsome, tartan historian