Question regarding accessories

  • lynlee o
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2011
      Hi All,

      I am putting together my personna and have the following questions:
      1) How far afield would Tay pearls have been owned and how far down the social ladder? I am the daughter of a steward to one of the larger castles, would it be possible for me to have one or two small ones? Would I be more likely to use Agates or Garnets (there is a small vein of garnets in the valley I live in but I am unsure if this was used in the 12th C).
      2) Given that I am about 1150-1190AD, and David I and his Mother were very religious, would I have carried a Rosary/Pater Noster bead strand of some description and if so, would it be knots or wood/clay? Does anybody know the configuration, I am thinking either 150 or 50? Circular or straight string? The Doune was likely to be used as a religious property Abbey or Church of some kind when it was replaced with Drum Castle in the late 12th early 13thC so I feel the inhabitants may well have been expected to show a good example and have all the modern requisites for piety.

      Regards
      Claricia filia Wilelmi dapiferi

    • Sharon L Krossa, PhD
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2011
        On Nov 29, 2011, at 8:28 PM, lynlee o wrote:
        > 2) Given that I am about 1150-1190AD, and David I and his Mother were very religious, would I have carried a Rosary/Pater Noster bead strand of some description and if so, would it be knots or wood/clay? Does anybody know the configuration, I am thinking either 150 or 50? Circular or straight string? The Doune was likely to be used as a religious property Abbey or Church of some kind when it was replaced with Drum Castle in the late 12th early 13thC so I feel the inhabitants may well have been expected to show a good example and have all the modern requisites for piety.

        With regard to rosaries, I recommend to you the Paternoster Row website: http://paternoster-row.org/

        There is also a Compleat Anachronist on the subject (details of which can be found at the above site).

        If you have rosary questions, Chris Laning (Christian de Holacombe in the SCA) is the woman to ask.

        Sharon (ska Africa filia Kennoci)