Re: [albanach] Highland mercenaries

  • Earik MacSkellie
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
      This is what my sca persona is based on. Not necessarily highlanders, there were around 6000 scots who were in service to Charles VII before he took the throne. It was because of their fierce reputation in battle that lead to John Stewart to become Constable of France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart,_Earl_of_Buchan.

      Henry II of France was killed in a jousting accident by Gabriel Montgomery, Captain of the Scots Guards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II_of_France

      Those should be a good starting point.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Aug 11, 2011, at 21:22, Cindy Vallar <cindyv@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm conducting a workshop and one of the participants has asked for
      > information on Highlanders who fought for France against England,
      > especially during medieval times. Any suggestions?
      >
      > I have information on the Galloglas who fought in Ireland, but haven't
      > found anything regarding France, although I'm aware that Jacobites did
      > so in later centuries.
      >
      > Thanks for the assist,
      > Cindy
      >
      > --
      > Cindy Vallar
      > Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter, Piracy Historian
      > E-mail: cindy@... or cindyv@...
      > Web site: http://www.cindyvallar.com
      >
      > The Scottish Thistle
      > Highland warrior weds woman of outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and civil war endanger their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and love.
      > Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html

    • Cindy Vallar
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
        Thanks so much, Nigel. You're right, Wikipedia is best as a starting
        point only. :-)

        Cindy

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
          Thanks, Earik. This is most interesting and helpful.

          Cindy

          Earik MacSkellie wrote:
          > This is what my sca persona is based on. Not necessarily highlanders, there were around 6000 scots who were in service to Charles VII before he took the throne. It was because of their fierce reputation in battle that lead to John Stewart to become Constable of France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart,_Earl_of_Buchan.
          >
          > Henry II of France was killed in a jousting accident by Gabriel Montgomery, Captain of the Scots Guards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II_of_France
          >
          > Those should be a good starting point.

          --
          Cindy Vallar
          Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter, Piracy Historian
          E-mail: cindy@... or cindyv@...
          Web site: http://www.cindyvallar.com

          The Scottish Thistle
          Highland warrior weds woman of outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and civil war endanger their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and love.
          Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html

        • REA Crane
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
            My family wasn't from the highlands, but we found our coat of arms listed among those scots visiting/in alliance with france.

            Anyway, Google books has several books on the topic.

            Memoirs concerning the ancient alliance between the French and Scots, and the privileges of the Scots in France by Thomas Moncrieff (published in 1751)

            http://books.google.com/books?id=2GQuAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=Scots+in+France&hl=en&ei=4BtETrmCKNLdgQeF4f0b&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

            The Scots men-at-arms and life-guards in france from their formation until their final dissolution by William Forbes-Leith, 1882

            http://books.google.com/books?id=KWkaAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Scots+in+France&hl=en&ei=em5ETui3CMPh0QG-yujTCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2011
              Thank you! :-)

              Cindy