Re: [albanach] Highland mercenaries

  • obsidian@raex.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11 1:06 PM
      One element of this subject can be found here...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garde_%C3%89cossaise
      (if that link
      doesn't work because of the odd diacriticals, just type in "Garde
      Ecossaise" in Wiki, and you'll get there). I know, I know,
      Wikipaedia. It's problematic in places, yes, but is a good starting
      point.

      Nigel

      On Thu, August 11, 2011 1:22 pm, Cindy
      Vallar wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm conducting a
      workshop and one of the participants has asked for
      > information
      on Highlanders who fought for France against England,
      > especially
      during medieval times. Any suggestions?

      > I have
      information on the Galloglas who fought in Ireland, but haven't

      found anything regarding France, although I'm aware that Jacobites did
      > so in later centuries.
      >
      > Thanks for the
      assist,
      > Cindy
      >
      > --
      > Cindy Vallar
      > Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter,
      Piracy
      cindyv@...
      > Web site: http://www.cindyvallar.com
      >

      > The Scottish Thistle
      > Highland warrior weds woman of
      outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and
      > civil war endanger
      their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and
      > love.
      > Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html
      >

      > [Non-text portions of this message
      have been removed]

      --
      "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non
      fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."

    • Earik MacSkellie
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11 1:15 PM
        This is what my sca persona is based on. Not necessarily highlanders, there were around 6000 scots who were in service to Charles VII before he took the throne. It was because of their fierce reputation in battle that lead to John Stewart to become Constable of France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart,_Earl_of_Buchan.

        Henry II of France was killed in a jousting accident by Gabriel Montgomery, Captain of the Scots Guards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II_of_France

        Those should be a good starting point.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Aug 11, 2011, at 21:22, Cindy Vallar <cindyv@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm conducting a workshop and one of the participants has asked for
        > information on Highlanders who fought for France against England,
        > especially during medieval times. Any suggestions?
        >
        > I have information on the Galloglas who fought in Ireland, but haven't
        > found anything regarding France, although I'm aware that Jacobites did
        > so in later centuries.
        >
        > Thanks for the assist,
        > Cindy
        >
        > --
        > Cindy Vallar
        > Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter, Piracy Historian
        > E-mail: cindy@... or cindyv@...
        > Web site: http://www.cindyvallar.com
        >
        > The Scottish Thistle
        > Highland warrior weds woman of outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and civil war endanger their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and love.
        > Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html

      • Cindy Vallar
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11 1:36 PM
          Thanks so much, Nigel. You're right, Wikipedia is best as a starting
          point only. :-)

          Cindy

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11 1:37 PM
            Thanks, Earik. This is most interesting and helpful.

            Cindy

            Earik MacSkellie wrote:
            > This is what my sca persona is based on. Not necessarily highlanders, there were around 6000 scots who were in service to Charles VII before he took the throne. It was because of their fierce reputation in battle that lead to John Stewart to become Constable of France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart,_Earl_of_Buchan.
            >
            > Henry II of France was killed in a jousting accident by Gabriel Montgomery, Captain of the Scots Guards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II_of_France
            >
            > Those should be a good starting point.

            --
            Cindy Vallar
            Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter, Piracy Historian
            E-mail: cindy@... or cindyv@...
            Web site: http://www.cindyvallar.com

            The Scottish Thistle
            Highland warrior weds woman of outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and civil war endanger their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and love.
            Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html

          • REA Crane
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11 5:07 PM
              My family wasn't from the highlands, but we found our coat of arms listed among those scots visiting/in alliance with france.

              Anyway, Google books has several books on the topic.

              Memoirs concerning the ancient alliance between the French and Scots, and the privileges of the Scots in France by Thomas Moncrieff (published in 1751)

              http://books.google.com/books?id=2GQuAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=Scots+in+France&hl=en&ei=4BtETrmCKNLdgQeF4f0b&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

              The Scots men-at-arms and life-guards in france from their formation until their final dissolution by William Forbes-Leith, 1882

              http://books.google.com/books?id=KWkaAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Scots+in+France&hl=en&ei=em5ETui3CMPh0QG-yujTCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12 7:55 AM
                Thank you! :-)

                Cindy