Highland mercenaries

  • Cindy Vallar
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      I'm conducting a workshop and one of the participants has asked for
      information on Highlanders who fought for France against England,
      especially during medieval times. Any suggestions?

      I have information on the Galloglas who fought in Ireland, but haven't
      found anything regarding France, although I'm aware that Jacobites did
      so in later centuries.

      Thanks for the assist,
      Cindy

      --
      Cindy Vallar
      Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter, Piracy Historian

      The Scottish Thistle
      Highland warrior weds woman of outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and civil war endanger their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and love.
      Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html

    • obsidian@raex.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
        One element of this subject can be found here...
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garde_%C3%89cossaise
        (if that link
        doesn't work because of the odd diacriticals, just type in "Garde
        Ecossaise" in Wiki, and you'll get there). I know, I know,
        Wikipaedia. It's problematic in places, yes, but is a good starting
        point.

        Nigel

        On Thu, August 11, 2011 1:22 pm, Cindy
        Vallar wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm conducting a
        workshop and one of the participants has asked for
        > information
        on Highlanders who fought for France against England,
        > especially
        during medieval times. Any suggestions?

        > I have
        information on the Galloglas who fought in Ireland, but haven't

        found anything regarding France, although I'm aware that Jacobites did
        > so in later centuries.
        >
        > Thanks for the
        assist,
        > Cindy
        >
        > --
        > Cindy Vallar
        > Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter,
        Piracy
        > Historian
        > E-mail: cindy@... or
        cindyv@...
        > Web site: http://www.cindyvallar.com
        >

        > The Scottish Thistle
        > Highland warrior weds woman of
        outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and
        > civil war endanger
        their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and
        > love.
        > Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html
        >

        > [Non-text portions of this message
        have been removed]

        --
        "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non
        fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."

      • Earik MacSkellie
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
          This is what my sca persona is based on. Not necessarily highlanders, there were around 6000 scots who were in service to Charles VII before he took the throne. It was because of their fierce reputation in battle that lead to John Stewart to become Constable of France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart,_Earl_of_Buchan.

          Henry II of France was killed in a jousting accident by Gabriel Montgomery, Captain of the Scots Guards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II_of_France

          Those should be a good starting point.

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
            Thanks so much, Nigel. You're right, Wikipedia is best as a starting
            point only. :-)

            Cindy

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
              Thanks, Earik. This is most interesting and helpful.

              Cindy

              Earik MacSkellie wrote:
              > This is what my sca persona is based on. Not necessarily highlanders, there were around 6000 scots who were in service to Charles VII before he took the throne. It was because of their fierce reputation in battle that lead to John Stewart to become Constable of France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart,_Earl_of_Buchan.
              >
              > Henry II of France was killed in a jousting accident by Gabriel Montgomery, Captain of the Scots Guards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II_of_France
              >
              > Those should be a good starting point.

              --
              Cindy Vallar
              Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter, Piracy Historian
              E-mail: cindy@... or cindyv@...
              Web site: http://www.cindyvallar.com

              The Scottish Thistle
              Highland warrior weds woman of outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and civil war endanger their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and love.
              Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html

            • REA Crane
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
                My family wasn't from the highlands, but we found our coat of arms listed among those scots visiting/in alliance with france.

                Anyway, Google books has several books on the topic.

                Memoirs concerning the ancient alliance between the French and Scots, and the privileges of the Scots in France by Thomas Moncrieff (published in 1751)

                http://books.google.com/books?id=2GQuAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=Scots+in+France&hl=en&ei=4BtETrmCKNLdgQeF4f0b&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

                The Scots men-at-arms and life-guards in france from their formation until their final dissolution by William Forbes-Leith, 1882

                http://books.google.com/books?id=KWkaAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Scots+in+France&hl=en&ei=em5ETui3CMPh0QG-yujTCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2011
                  Thank you! :-)

                  Cindy