Re: [albanach] Correct term confirmation?

  • obsidian@raex.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
      The Moray arms displays no bordure - there are some heraldic
      representations that strive for a chiseled, 3-dimensional effect; it's
      very misleading (as well as being ghastly artwork), since such a thing
      does, in fact, look a bit like an heraldic bordure. But the Moray Ancient
      blazon is definitive: "Azure, three mullets, two and one,
      argent". No bordure. You do encounter marks of cadency at times in
      later versions; the label, the bend, and yes, a bordure, among others; but
      that's 15th and 16th century stuff, it isn't seen much in the 13th or 14th
      century. And when a cadency mark does occur, it's always entered into the
      blazon in regular fashion. I'd have to look it up, but I think Diane's
      subject was eldest son - if so, he'd use the Label, if it were in use at
      all in the 1290's.

      Bruce

      On Thu, December 30, 2010
      4:17 pm, Robert Sehon wrote:
      > But don't forget the border around
      the arms.  That is vitally important
      > in

      Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of
      Arms
      > differentiates one cadet line from another.
      And the border is often
      > charged
      > with other heraldic
      devices, as in this case. However, my resolution

      isn't good
      > enough to really tell what the charges
      are.  This may be too much
      > accuracy for

      your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain