Re: [albanach] Correct term confirmation?

  • Robert Sehon
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
      But don't forget the border around the arms.  That is vitally important in
      Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of Arms
      differentiates one cadet line from another.  And the border is often charged
      with other heraldic devices, as in this case. However, my resolution isn't good
      enough to really tell what the charges are.  This may be too much accuracy for
      your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain somebody
      with a mace...

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
        The Moray arms displays no bordure - there are some heraldic
        representations that strive for a chiseled, 3-dimensional effect; it's
        very misleading (as well as being ghastly artwork), since such a thing
        does, in fact, look a bit like an heraldic bordure. But the Moray Ancient
        blazon is definitive: "Azure, three mullets, two and one,
        argent". No bordure. You do encounter marks of cadency at times in
        later versions; the label, the bend, and yes, a bordure, among others; but
        that's 15th and 16th century stuff, it isn't seen much in the 13th or 14th
        century. And when a cadency mark does occur, it's always entered into the
        blazon in regular fashion. I'd have to look it up, but I think Diane's
        subject was eldest son - if so, he'd use the Label, if it were in use at
        all in the 1290's.

        Bruce

        On Thu, December 30, 2010
        4:17 pm, Robert Sehon wrote:
        > But don't forget the border around
        the arms.  That is vitally important
        > in

        Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of
        Arms
        > differentiates one cadet line from another.
        And the border is often
        > charged
        > with other heraldic
        devices, as in this case. However, my resolution

        isn't good
        > enough to really tell what the charges
        are.  This may be too much
        > accuracy for

        your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain
        > somebody
        > with a mace...
        >

        > ________________________________

        >> ~I like that, clean, states it clearly. I'll use something to
        that
        >> effect, my sincere thanks. The stars are silver? They
        looked white
        >> from the picture. My sincere thanks for
        everything!

        >> Diana Cosby,
        >
        > In Heraldry, there are two 'metals'...Or and Argent.
        >
        > Depending on the medium they are emblazoned with, they
        can be
        > Or= gold/yellow (N.b. the 'yellow' is a true yellow not
        saffron,
        > tawny or any of the variants)

        Argent=silver/white.

        > Generally the blazon is as the
        metal not the color, while the emblazon
        > can be either.
        >

        > Hence: Azure, three stars of five points two and one,
        Argent.

        > (Blazon-how you describe the heraldry in
        technical terms)
        > (Emblazon-how you draw it )

        "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis
        recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis
        est."
        -