Re: [albanach] Correct term confirmation? - Thank you!

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2010
      My sincere thanks to all who offered suggestions and/or an
      explanation about the correct description for describing Andrew de
      Moray's shield. I hope your New Year is the best yet!
      Sincerely,

      Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
      www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His
      Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
      His Destiny - Oct 2011

    • Robert Sehon
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
        But don't forget the border around the arms.  That is vitally important in
        Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of Arms
        differentiates one cadet line from another.  And the border is often charged
        with other heraldic devices, as in this case. However, my resolution isn't good
        enough to really tell what the charges are.  This may be too much accuracy for
        your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain somebody
        with a mace...

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
          The Moray arms displays no bordure - there are some heraldic
          representations that strive for a chiseled, 3-dimensional effect; it's
          very misleading (as well as being ghastly artwork), since such a thing
          does, in fact, look a bit like an heraldic bordure. But the Moray Ancient
          blazon is definitive: "Azure, three mullets, two and one,
          argent". No bordure. You do encounter marks of cadency at times in
          later versions; the label, the bend, and yes, a bordure, among others; but
          that's 15th and 16th century stuff, it isn't seen much in the 13th or 14th
          century. And when a cadency mark does occur, it's always entered into the
          blazon in regular fashion. I'd have to look it up, but I think Diane's
          subject was eldest son - if so, he'd use the Label, if it were in use at
          all in the 1290's.

          Bruce

          On Thu, December 30, 2010
          4:17 pm, Robert Sehon wrote:
          > But don't forget the border around
          the arms.  That is vitally important
          > in

          Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of
          Arms
          > differentiates one cadet line from another.
          And the border is often
          > charged
          > with other heraldic
          devices, as in this case. However, my resolution

          isn't good
          > enough to really tell what the charges
          are.  This may be too much
          > accuracy for

          your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain
          > somebody
          > with a mace...
          >

          > ________________________________

          >> ~I like that, clean, states it clearly. I'll use something to
          that
          >> effect, my sincere thanks. The stars are silver? They
          looked white
          >> from the picture. My sincere thanks for
          everything!

          >> Diana Cosby,
          >
          > In Heraldry, there are two 'metals'...Or and Argent.
          >
          > Depending on the medium they are emblazoned with, they
          can be
          > Or= gold/yellow (N.b. the 'yellow' is a true yellow not
          saffron,
          > tawny or any of the variants)

          Argent=silver/white.

          > Generally the blazon is as the
          metal not the color, while the emblazon
          > can be either.
          >

          > Hence: Azure, three stars of five points two and one,
          Argent.

          > (Blazon-how you describe the heraldry in
          technical terms)
          > (Emblazon-how you draw it )

          "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis
          recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis
          est."
          -