Re: [albanach] Correct term confirmation?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
      obsidian@... wrote:

      >Greetings
      >
      >I'm not sure where you are getting the saltire cross
      >from, what's your source? Early Moray Arms were: "Azure, three
      >mullets argent, two and one" - that's the heraldic blazon. In
      >untechnical language, that would be "Three white five-pointed stars
      >arranged in a triangle pointing down, on a blue background.

      ~Bruce, -blush-, when I doubled checked, I saw there wasn't a saltire
      cross. My sincere thanks and have a wonderful holiday season!

      Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
      www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His
      Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
      His Destiny - Oct 2011

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2010
        My sincere thanks to all who offered suggestions and/or an
        explanation about the correct description for describing Andrew de
        Moray's shield. I hope your New Year is the best yet!
        Sincerely,

        Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
        www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
        His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His
        Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
        His Destiny - Oct 2011

      • Robert Sehon
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
          But don't forget the border around the arms.  That is vitally important in
          Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of Arms
          differentiates one cadet line from another.  And the border is often charged
          with other heraldic devices, as in this case. However, my resolution isn't good
          enough to really tell what the charges are.  This may be too much accuracy for
          your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain somebody
          with a mace...

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
            The Moray arms displays no bordure - there are some heraldic
            representations that strive for a chiseled, 3-dimensional effect; it's
            very misleading (as well as being ghastly artwork), since such a thing
            does, in fact, look a bit like an heraldic bordure. But the Moray Ancient
            blazon is definitive: "Azure, three mullets, two and one,
            argent". No bordure. You do encounter marks of cadency at times in
            later versions; the label, the bend, and yes, a bordure, among others; but
            that's 15th and 16th century stuff, it isn't seen much in the 13th or 14th
            century. And when a cadency mark does occur, it's always entered into the
            blazon in regular fashion. I'd have to look it up, but I think Diane's
            subject was eldest son - if so, he'd use the Label, if it were in use at
            all in the 1290's.

            Bruce

            On Thu, December 30, 2010
            4:17 pm, Robert Sehon wrote:
            > But don't forget the border around
            the arms.  That is vitally important
            > in

            Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of
            Arms
            > differentiates one cadet line from another.
            And the border is often
            > charged
            > with other heraldic
            devices, as in this case. However, my resolution

            isn't good
            > enough to really tell what the charges
            are.  This may be too much
            > accuracy for

            your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain
            > somebody
            > with a mace...
            >

            > ________________________________

            >> ~I like that, clean, states it clearly. I'll use something to
            that
            >> effect, my sincere thanks. The stars are silver? They
            looked white
            >> from the picture. My sincere thanks for
            everything!

            >> Diana Cosby,
            >
            > In Heraldry, there are two 'metals'...Or and Argent.
            >
            > Depending on the medium they are emblazoned with, they
            can be
            > Or= gold/yellow (N.b. the 'yellow' is a true yellow not
            saffron,
            > tawny or any of the variants)

            Argent=silver/white.

            > Generally the blazon is as the
            metal not the color, while the emblazon
            > can be either.
            >

            > Hence: Azure, three stars of five points two and one,
            Argent.

            > (Blazon-how you describe the heraldry in
            technical terms)
            > (Emblazon-how you draw it )

            "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis
            recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis
            est."
            -