RE: [albanach] Correct term confirmation?

  • Kevin Myers
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
      I would suggest 'field' instead of 'swath', 'swath' is more like a broad
      stripe, while 'field' suggests more of a background.
      But otherwise, if avoiding the heraldic blazoning, your description seems
      good. Or maybe, "three white stars on an azure field"?

      Sin mo dha phingin....

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
        obsidian@... wrote:

        >Greetings
        >
        >I'm not sure where you are getting the saltire cross
        >from, what's your source? Early Moray Arms were: "Azure, three
        >mullets argent, two and one" - that's the heraldic blazon. In
        >untechnical language, that would be "Three white five-pointed stars
        >arranged in a triangle pointing down, on a blue background.

        ~Bruce, -blush-, when I doubled checked, I saw there wasn't a saltire
        cross. My sincere thanks and have a wonderful holiday season!

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 28, 2010
          My sincere thanks to all who offered suggestions and/or an
          explanation about the correct description for describing Andrew de
          Moray's shield. I hope your New Year is the best yet!
          Sincerely,

          Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
          www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
          His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His
          Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
          His Destiny - Oct 2011

        • Robert Sehon
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
            But don't forget the border around the arms.  That is vitally important in
            Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of Arms
            differentiates one cadet line from another.  And the border is often charged
            with other heraldic devices, as in this case. However, my resolution isn't good
            enough to really tell what the charges are.  This may be too much accuracy for
            your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain somebody
            with a mace...

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
              The Moray arms displays no bordure - there are some heraldic
              representations that strive for a chiseled, 3-dimensional effect; it's
              very misleading (as well as being ghastly artwork), since such a thing
              does, in fact, look a bit like an heraldic bordure. But the Moray Ancient
              blazon is definitive: "Azure, three mullets, two and one,
              argent". No bordure. You do encounter marks of cadency at times in
              later versions; the label, the bend, and yes, a bordure, among others; but
              that's 15th and 16th century stuff, it isn't seen much in the 13th or 14th
              century. And when a cadency mark does occur, it's always entered into the
              blazon in regular fashion. I'd have to look it up, but I think Diane's
              subject was eldest son - if so, he'd use the Label, if it were in use at
              all in the 1290's.

              Bruce

              On Thu, December 30, 2010
              4:17 pm, Robert Sehon wrote:
              > But don't forget the border around
              the arms.  That is vitally important
              > in

              Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of
              Arms
              > differentiates one cadet line from another.
              And the border is often
              > charged
              > with other heraldic
              devices, as in this case. However, my resolution

              isn't good
              > enough to really tell what the charges
              are.  This may be too much
              > accuracy for

              your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain
              > somebody
              > with a mace...
              >

              > ________________________________

              >> ~I like that, clean, states it clearly. I'll use something to
              that
              >> effect, my sincere thanks. The stars are silver? They
              looked white
              >> from the picture. My sincere thanks for
              everything!

              >> Diana Cosby,
              >
              > In Heraldry, there are two 'metals'...Or and Argent.
              >
              > Depending on the medium they are emblazoned with, they
              can be
              > Or= gold/yellow (N.b. the 'yellow' is a true yellow not
              saffron,
              > tawny or any of the variants)

              Argent=silver/white.

              > Generally the blazon is as the
              metal not the color, while the emblazon
              > can be either.
              >

              > Hence: Azure, three stars of five points two and one,
              Argent.

              > (Blazon-how you describe the heraldry in
              technical terms)
              > (Emblazon-how you draw it )

              "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis
              recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis
              est."
              -