Re: [albanach] Correct term confirmation?

  • obsidian@raex.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
      Greetings

      I'm not sure where you are getting the saltire cross
      from, what's your source? Early Moray Arms were: "Azure, three
      mullets argent, two and one" - that's the heraldic blazon. In
      untechnical language, that would be "Three white five-pointed stars
      arranged in a triangle pointing down, on a blue background.

      Cordially;
      Bruce Gordon

      On Mon, December 20, 2010 2:11
      pm, Diana Cosby wrote:
      > I am describing Andrew de Moray's
      shield. Am I correct in saying,
      > "a swath of deep blue
      complimented with a St. Andrew's Cross Argent and
      > three mullets
      Argent." ??? My sincere thanks for your time.

      Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author

      www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      > His
      Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His

      Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
      > His Destiny - Oct 2011

      "Ausculta, feminae novae
      in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula
      administrationis est."
      -

    • Kevin Myers
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
        I would suggest 'field' instead of 'swath', 'swath' is more like a broad
        stripe, while 'field' suggests more of a background.
        But otherwise, if avoiding the heraldic blazoning, your description seems
        good. Or maybe, "three white stars on an azure field"?

        Sin mo dha phingin....

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
          obsidian@... wrote:

          >Greetings
          >
          >I'm not sure where you are getting the saltire cross
          >from, what's your source? Early Moray Arms were: "Azure, three
          >mullets argent, two and one" - that's the heraldic blazon. In
          >untechnical language, that would be "Three white five-pointed stars
          >arranged in a triangle pointing down, on a blue background.

          ~Bruce, -blush-, when I doubled checked, I saw there wasn't a saltire
          cross. My sincere thanks and have a wonderful holiday season!

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 28, 2010
            My sincere thanks to all who offered suggestions and/or an
            explanation about the correct description for describing Andrew de
            Moray's shield. I hope your New Year is the best yet!
            Sincerely,

            Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
            www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
            His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His
            Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
            His Destiny - Oct 2011

          • Robert Sehon
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
              But don't forget the border around the arms.  That is vitally important in
              Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of Arms
              differentiates one cadet line from another.  And the border is often charged
              with other heraldic devices, as in this case. However, my resolution isn't good
              enough to really tell what the charges are.  This may be too much accuracy for
              your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain somebody
              with a mace...

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
                The Moray arms displays no bordure - there are some heraldic
                representations that strive for a chiseled, 3-dimensional effect; it's
                very misleading (as well as being ghastly artwork), since such a thing
                does, in fact, look a bit like an heraldic bordure. But the Moray Ancient
                blazon is definitive: "Azure, three mullets, two and one,
                argent". No bordure. You do encounter marks of cadency at times in
                later versions; the label, the bend, and yes, a bordure, among others; but
                that's 15th and 16th century stuff, it isn't seen much in the 13th or 14th
                century. And when a cadency mark does occur, it's always entered into the
                blazon in regular fashion. I'd have to look it up, but I think Diane's
                subject was eldest son - if so, he'd use the Label, if it were in use at
                all in the 1290's.

                Bruce

                On Thu, December 30, 2010