Correct term confirmation?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
      I am describing Andrew de Moray's shield. Am I correct in saying,
      "a swath of deep blue complimented with a St. Andrew's Cross Argent and
      three mullets Argent." ??? My sincere thanks for your time.

      Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
      www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His
      Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
      His Destiny - Oct 2011

    • Cathal
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
        > I am describing Andrew de Moray's shield. Am I correct in
        > saying,
        > "a swath of deep blue complimented with a St. Andrew's Cross Argent
        > and
        > three mullets Argent." ??? My sincere thanks for your time.

        How are you truing to describe it? Using lay-terms or heraldic
        blazon?

        JPratt.
      • obsidian@raex.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
          Greetings

          I'm not sure where you are getting the saltire cross
          from, what's your source? Early Moray Arms were: "Azure, three
          mullets argent, two and one" - that's the heraldic blazon. In
          untechnical language, that would be "Three white five-pointed stars
          arranged in a triangle pointing down, on a blue background.

          Cordially;
          Bruce Gordon

          On Mon, December 20, 2010 2:11
          pm, Diana Cosby wrote:
          > I am describing Andrew de Moray's
          shield. Am I correct in saying,
          > "a swath of deep blue
          complimented with a St. Andrew's Cross Argent and
          > three mullets
          Argent." ??? My sincere thanks for your time.

          Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author

          www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
          > His
          Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His

          Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
          > His Destiny - Oct 2011

          "Ausculta, feminae novae
          in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula
          administrationis est."
          -

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
            Cathal wrote:

            >> I am describing Andrew de Moray's shield. Am I correct in
            >>saying,
            >>"a swath of deep blue complimented with three mullets Argent." ??? My sincere thanks for your time.
            >>

            > How are you truing to describe it? Using lay-terms or heraldic
            >blazon?

            ~Hi Cathal, as you saw, I was trying to weave a mix of both for a
            'taste' of the medieval setting. For guidance I used the photo at:
            http://www.andrewdemoray.com/
            Do you think it's best to keep it simple and say, "Framed with a deep
            blue, an azure swath complimented by three white stars?" My sincere
            thanks for any insight. Happy Holidays!

            Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
            www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
            His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His
            Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
            His Destiny - Oct 2011

          • Kevin Myers
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
              I would suggest 'field' instead of 'swath', 'swath' is more like a broad
              stripe, while 'field' suggests more of a background.
              But otherwise, if avoiding the heraldic blazoning, your description seems
              good. Or maybe, "three white stars on an azure field"?

              Sin mo dha phingin....

              Kevin

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
                > ~Hi Cathal, as you saw, I was trying to weave a mix of both for a
                > 'taste' of the medieval setting. For guidance I used the photo at:
                > http://www.andrewdemoray.com/
                > Do you think it's best to keep it simple and say, "Framed with a
                > deep
                > blue, an azure swath complimented by three white stars?" My sincere
                > thanks for any insight. Happy Holidays!
                >
                > Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author

                How about 'on a field of deepest blue, three silver stars'?

                JPratt.
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
                  Cathal wrote:

                  >>~Hi Cathal, as you saw, I was trying to weave a mix of both for a
                  >>'taste' of the medieval setting. For guidance I used the photo at:
                  >>http://www.andrewdemoray.com/
                  >>Do you think it's best to keep it simple and say, "Framed with a
                  >>deep
                  >>blue, an azure swath complimented by three white stars?" My sincere
                  >>thanks for any insight. Happy Holidays!
                  >>

                  >How about 'on a field of deepest blue, three silver stars'?

                  ~I like that, clean, states it clearly. I'll use something to that
                  effect, my sincere thanks. The stars are silver? They looked white
                  from the picture. My sincere thanks for everything!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
                    >>How about 'on a field of deepest blue, three silver stars'?
                    >>

                    > ~I like that, clean, states it clearly. I'll use something to that
                    > effect, my sincere thanks. The stars are silver? They looked white
                    > from the picture. My sincere thanks for everything!
                    >

                    > Diana Cosby,

                    In Heraldry, there are two 'metals'...Or and Argent.

                    Depending on the medium they are emblazoned with, they can be
                    Or= gold/yellow (N.b. the 'yellow' is a true yellow not saffron,
                    tawny or any of the variants)
                    Argent=silver/white.

                    Generally the blazon is as the metal not the color, while the emblazon
                    can be either.

                    Hence: Azure, three stars of five points two and one, Argent.

                    (Blazon-how you describe the heraldry in technical terms)
                    (Emblazon-how you draw it )
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
                      obsidian@... wrote:

                      >Greetings
                      >
                      >I'm not sure where you are getting the saltire cross
                      >from, what's your source? Early Moray Arms were: "Azure, three
                      >mullets argent, two and one" - that's the heraldic blazon. In
                      >untechnical language, that would be "Three white five-pointed stars
                      >arranged in a triangle pointing down, on a blue background.

                      ~Bruce, -blush-, when I doubled checked, I saw there wasn't a saltire
                      cross. My sincere thanks and have a wonderful holiday season!

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 28, 2010
                        My sincere thanks to all who offered suggestions and/or an
                        explanation about the correct description for describing Andrew de
                        Moray's shield. I hope your New Year is the best yet!
                        Sincerely,

                        Diana Cosby, International Best-Selling Author
                        www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
                        His Captive-Alexander MacGruder/ His Woman-Duncan MacGruder/ His
                        Conquest-Seathan MacGruder
                        His Destiny - Oct 2011

                      • Robert Sehon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
                          But don't forget the border around the arms.  That is vitally important in
                          Scottish Heraldry as it is one of the ways Lord Lion, King of Arms
                          differentiates one cadet line from another.  And the border is often charged
                          with other heraldic devices, as in this case. However, my resolution isn't good
                          enough to really tell what the charges are.  This may be too much accuracy for
                          your purpose, but accuracy was important when you're about to brain somebody
                          with a mace...

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
                            The Moray arms displays no bordure - there are some heraldic
                            representations that strive for a chiseled, 3-dimensional effect; it's
                            very misleading (as well as being ghastly artwork), since such a thing
                            does, in fact, look a bit like an heraldic bordure. But the Moray Ancient
                            blazon is definitive: "Azure, three mullets, two and one,
                            argent". No bordure. You do encounter marks of cadency at times in
                            later versions; the label, the bend, and yes, a bordure, among others; but
                            that's 15th and 16th century stuff, it isn't seen much in the 13th or 14th
                            century. And when a cadency mark does occur, it's always entered into the
                            blazon in regular fashion. I'd have to look it up, but I think Diane's
                            subject was eldest son - if so, he'd use the Label, if it were in use at
                            all in the 1290's.

                            Bruce

                            On Thu, December 30, 2010