Re: [albanach] Terminology

  • obsidian@raex.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2010
      I think it would depend on whether the person so indicated was a vassal or
      other special feudal relationship with the Earl of Mar - by the 16th
      century, that wouldn't have counted for as much as it would have in
      earlier times, and I'm not sure how much territory the Earls would have
      lost to the crown by then anyway, probably quite a bit; in any event, the
      earldom wouldn't have had the territorial autonomy that it would have
      possessed in the Middle Ages. Still, Drumoak is both within the ancient
      territory of the old Mormaerdom of Mar, and also within the newer county
      of Aberdeenshire - it's only 9 miles west of the port, after all. So a
      resident of Drum Castle would probably say that they lived in
      Aberdeenshire, but under some circumstances or context might acknowledge
      Mar as their district; difficult to say with precision, but I'd tend to
      think Aberdeenshire more likely. You are quite correct about the other
      areas - Fife, Buchan, and Moray are each quite a bit further away, and
      wouldn't have figured in local perception of region.

      Nigel

      On Sat, July 17, 2010 8:52 pm, lariandrobert@... wrote:
      > How would a sixteenth century resident of Drum Castle near Drumoak
      have
      > referred to his region? Mar seems wrong, Fife, Moray and
      Buchan even
      > worse. Would he default to Aberdeenshire?

      Malcolm

      --
      "Ausculta, feminae novae
      in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula