Terminology

  • lariandrobert@fuse.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17 5:52 PM
      How would a sixteenth century resident of Drum Castle near Drumoak have referred to his region? Mar seems wrong, Fife, Moray and Buchan even worse. Would he default to Aberdeenshire?
      Malcolm
    • obsidian@raex.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17 6:44 PM
        I think it would depend on whether the person so indicated was a vassal or
        other special feudal relationship with the Earl of Mar - by the 16th
        century, that wouldn't have counted for as much as it would have in
        earlier times, and I'm not sure how much territory the Earls would have
        lost to the crown by then anyway, probably quite a bit; in any event, the
        earldom wouldn't have had the territorial autonomy that it would have
        possessed in the Middle Ages. Still, Drumoak is both within the ancient
        territory of the old Mormaerdom of Mar, and also within the newer county
        of Aberdeenshire - it's only 9 miles west of the port, after all. So a
        resident of Drum Castle would probably say that they lived in
        Aberdeenshire, but under some circumstances or context might acknowledge
        Mar as their district; difficult to say with precision, but I'd tend to
        think Aberdeenshire more likely. You are quite correct about the other
        areas - Fife, Buchan, and Moray are each quite a bit further away, and
        wouldn't have figured in local perception of region.

        Nigel

        --
        "Ausculta, feminae novae
        in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula