Re: [albanach] Herb in 1297 Scotland - Thank you, Nigel

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2010
      obsidian@... wrote:

      >European Buckthorn (Rhamnus catharticus) - sometimes referred to as
      >Hart's-horn. Used primarily externally to treat bruises and warts; but if
      >you take the berries (it flowers in late spring/early summer) and make a
      >syrup of them, it makes a very powerful and rather sudden laxative. If you
      >added a dose of the syrup to a stew, I imagine the effect would be about
      >what you would expect - I have no idea what or how strongly it's taste
      >would be, or if it has a characteristic odour.

      :) Thank you very much for sharing, Nigel. Sounds like something my
      heroine, who tends to cause a ruckus, would do. Have a great weekend!

      Diana
      www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
      His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review - 2009
      Booksellers Best Finalist
      His Conquest - Pre-Order now! / His Destiny - Nov 2011