Laxative Herbs of the British Isles

  • Jack Graham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17 8:42 AM
      See http://www.woodlandherbs.co.uk/acatalog/history.html
      which says The British National Formulary (BNF) is a book containing information on all commonly used drugs used in UK medicine. There are only a very few herbs mentioned, for example Senna (as a laxative for constipation), Gentian (as a bitter/tonic) and Ispaghula (Psyllium husks as a gentle laxative/fibre).

      Senna's properties are at http://altmedicine.about.com/od/completeazindex/a/senna.htm
      Senna may be a little slow for your needs so consider fairy flax.

      More is given at http://hubpages.com/hub/Herbal-and-Folk-Medicine-of-Constipation
      saying In Scotland fairy flax (Linum catharticum) has been used as a purgative.

      Properties of fairy flax are given in Fairy Flax (aka Purging Flax) contains the same cyanogenic glycoside "Linamairin" as does Cultivated Flax. and at the very end of http://www.wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/F/Flax%28Cultivated%29/Flax%28Cultivated%29.htm
      as Podophyllotoxins cause severe diarrhea and blocks the process of cell division; they are thus toxic as their name suggests.

      So my vote is for Fairy Flax... be careful, too much of this good stuff is fatal :-)

      Yours Faithfully,

      Jack Graham
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17 9:52 AM
        Jack Graham wrote:

        >See http://www.woodlandherbs.co.uk/acatalog/history.html
        >which says The British National Formulary (BNF) is a book containing information on all commonly used drugs used in UK medicine. There are only a very few herbs mentioned, for example Senna (as a laxative for constipation), Gentian (as a bitter/tonic) and Ispaghula (Psyllium husks as a gentle laxative/fibre).
        >
        >Senna's properties are at http://altmedicine.about.com/od/completeazindex/a/senna.htm
        >Senna may be a little slow for your needs so consider fairy flax.
        >
        >More is given at http://hubpages.com/hub/Herbal-and-Folk-Medicine-of-Constipation
        >saying In Scotland fairy flax (Linum catharticum) has been used as a purgative.
        >
        >Properties of fairy flax are given in Fairy Flax (aka Purging Flax) contains the same cyanogenic glycoside "Linamairin" as does Cultivated Flax. and at the very end of http://www.wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/F/Flax%28Cultivated%29/Flax%28Cultivated%29.htm
        >as Podophyllotoxins cause severe diarrhea and blocks the process of cell division; they are thus toxic as their name suggests.
        >
        >So my vote is for Fairy Flax... be careful, too much of this good stuff is fatal :-)

        ~:) Thank you very much, Jack. I sincerely appreciate your help!

        Diana
        www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
        His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
        His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review - 2009
        Booksellers Best Finalist
        His Conquest - Pre-Order now! / His Destiny - Nov 2011