Re: [albanach] Herb in 1297 Scotland

  • obsidian@raex.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2010
      European Buckthorn (Rhamnus catharticus) - sometimes referred to as
      Hart's-horn. Used primarily externally to treat bruises and warts; but if
      you take the berries (it flowers in late spring/early summer) and make a
      syrup of them, it makes a very powerful and rather sudden laxative. If you
      added a dose of the syrup to a stew, I imagine the effect would be about
      what you would expect - I have no idea what or how strongly it's taste
      would be, or if it has a characteristic odour.

      Nigel

      On Fri, July 16, 2010 9:43 am, Diana Cosby wrote:
      > My story is
      set in Scotland 1297. I need an herb that someone could
      > slip
      into a stew or somehow to cause the other person to have the runs.

      <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      > His Captive/Alexander
      MacGruder
      > His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times
      review - 2009
      > Booksellers Best Finalist
      > His Conquest
      - Pre-Order now! / His Destiny - Nov 2011

      "Ausculta, feminae novae in
      lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula
      administrationis est."
      -

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2010
        obsidian@... wrote:

        >European Buckthorn (Rhamnus catharticus) - sometimes referred to as
        >Hart's-horn. Used primarily externally to treat bruises and warts; but if
        >you take the berries (it flowers in late spring/early summer) and make a
        >syrup of them, it makes a very powerful and rather sudden laxative. If you
        >added a dose of the syrup to a stew, I imagine the effect would be about
        >what you would expect - I have no idea what or how strongly it's taste
        >would be, or if it has a characteristic odour.

        :) Thank you very much for sharing, Nigel. Sounds like something my
        heroine, who tends to cause a ruckus, would do. Have a great weekend!