Herb in 1297 Scotland

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2010
      My story is set in Scotland 1297. I need an herb that someone could
      slip into a stew or somehow to cause the other person to have the runs.
      Any suggestions/ideas? Thank you very much for your time.

      Diana
      www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
      His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review - 2009
      Booksellers Best Finalist
      His Conquest - Pre-Order now! / His Destiny - Nov 2011

    • obsidian@raex.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2010
        European Buckthorn (Rhamnus catharticus) - sometimes referred to as
        Hart's-horn. Used primarily externally to treat bruises and warts; but if
        you take the berries (it flowers in late spring/early summer) and make a
        syrup of them, it makes a very powerful and rather sudden laxative. If you
        added a dose of the syrup to a stew, I imagine the effect would be about
        what you would expect - I have no idea what or how strongly it's taste
        would be, or if it has a characteristic odour.

        Nigel

        <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
        > His Captive/Alexander
        MacGruder
        > His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times
        review - 2009
        > Booksellers Best Finalist
        > His Conquest
        - Pre-Order now! / His Destiny - Nov 2011

        "Ausculta, feminae novae in
        lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula
        administrationis est."
        -

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2010
          obsidian@... wrote:

          >European Buckthorn (Rhamnus catharticus) - sometimes referred to as
          >Hart's-horn. Used primarily externally to treat bruises and warts; but if
          >you take the berries (it flowers in late spring/early summer) and make a
          >syrup of them, it makes a very powerful and rather sudden laxative. If you
          >added a dose of the syrup to a stew, I imagine the effect would be about
          >what you would expect - I have no idea what or how strongly it's taste
          >would be, or if it has a characteristic odour.

          :) Thank you very much for sharing, Nigel. Sounds like something my
          heroine, who tends to cause a ruckus, would do. Have a great weekend!