Name?

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
      What would a person in the late 1290's be called who sold their
      expertise in military knowledge, their lethal skills and worked for the
      highest bidder be called? Thank you very much!
      Diana
    • Lee-Ann Johnson
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
        Mercenary?

        Effric mka Lee-Ann

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
          Lee-Ann Johnson wrote:

          >Mercenary?
          >
          >Effric mka Lee-Ann

          ~:) That's it. I couldn't think of the word. Thank you SO much,
          Effric! Have a great day!

          Diana
          www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
          His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
          His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review - 2009
          Booksellers Best Finalist
          His Conquest - Nov 2010 / His Destiny - Nov 2011

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
            I'm unsure where I read it, but a while ago = a couple of years, I
            read that in medieval Scotland, women wore braids only after they were
            married. Does anyone have a source if this is true? Also, does anyone
            have a source where I can read what other things women wore only after
            they were married in medieval Scotland? My sincere thanks for your time.

            Diana
          • Lee-Ann
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
              Your welcome.
              Wasn't sure if that was what you were looking for. :)

              Sent from my iPod

              Lee-Ann

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                Lee-Ann wrote:

                >Your welcome.
                >Wasn't sure if that was what you were looking for. :)

                :) It was. You know how sometimes you 'know' the word, but however
                hard you try, you can't think of it? Yes, one of those times. Enjoy
                your day! Now, headed back to my mercenary. *G*

                Diana
              • Sebhdann
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                  Diana,

                  One of the ladies of my Shire did an article on medieval hairstyles
                  recently. I'll search it out tonight to see if it says anything on Scottish
                  styles particularly. If it doesn't have anything I'll query her for other
                  reference(s) for you.

                  And as far as clothing goes, whenever anyone asks about Scottish garb, the
                  standard reply is, "Have you read Sharon Krossa's webpage?" *lol* Honestly,
                  it's a great starting place. Here's the Link: http://medievalscotland.org/

                  Then this webpage from historicgames.com had some info on clothing:
                  http://historicgames.com/Scottishstuff/scotsattire.html

                  The following info was taken from this website:
                  http://www.earlyirish.org/EarlyGaelicDress12col.pdf , page 4. The time
                  period discussed for the article is much earlier than what you write, but
                  the below resource would be useful. The Highland Scots were by and large,
                  'conservative' in their dressing, so sudden, radical changes were not usual,
                  so a resource detailing dress from previous centuries could still be useful.
                  *
                  Old Irish and Highland Dress, with Notes on That of the Isle of Man**, by
                  H.F. McClintock, Dundalgan Press, 1943
                  Well, the bad news is that this work has been out of print for quite some
                  time. Even an interlibrary loan has a hard time finding it. It may still
                  haunt some old bookshelf in your area, but good luck finding it. Now, here
                  is the good news. www.Scotpress.com has for sale on CD not only this entire
                  book, but many others as well, most of which deal with Scottish and Irish
                  history. So you may very well be able to get the sweat-drenched work of Old
                  Man McClintock for yourself. It is worth every penny. McClintock is the
                  pioneer in this field, charged with determining historic Irish dress for the
                  Irish government in the �forties. Before him was P.W. Joyce, author of a
                  text called A Social History of Ancient Ireland, which was based on the
                  Victorian work of Professor O�Curry, Manners and Customs of the Ancient
                  Irish, published in 1873. O�Curry was a sound scholar but he proposed
                  translations that simply didn�t pan out when investigated, especially
                  concerning fashion, so McClintock started over. He gives the reader
                  sculpture and shrines, art and literature, sacred texts and even Brehon Law
                  to back his conclusions. Though some of what McClintock wrote is now a
                  little dated, his writing remains the foremost resource for this topic.

                  Neither of these works is definitive. Discoveries and more detailed
                  understandings of daily life and dress are coming to light every day.
                  However, these books form a strong foundation for any scholar or enthusiast
                  to begin their dabblings and should be sought with haste.*

                  Then of course, there's always the Yahoo Group, SCA Garb. A very
                  knowledgeable bunch and very willing to answer questions posed.

                  Hope this helps!

                  --
                  Sl�n!

                  Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
                  Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
                  Clannet, Clan Carn

                  *mka Sue V.*

                  Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
                  We'll win the war and pay the toll,
                  We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
                  --'The March of Cambreadth'--Heather Alexander

                  On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:01 AM, Diana Cosby <diana@...> wrote:

                  > I'm unsure where I read it, but a while ago = a couple of years, I
                  > read that in medieval Scotland, women wore braids only after they were
                  > married. Does anyone have a source if this is true? Also, does anyone
                  > have a source where I can read what other things women wore only after
                  > they were married in medieval Scotland? My sincere thanks for your time.
                  >
                  > Diana

                • Sebhdann
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                    Diana,

                    Also the term *Gallowglass* might be appropriate. Here's a Wikipedia
                    article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallowglass

                    Hope this helps!