Re: [albanach] Bishop Wishart - time spent imprisoned at Roxburgh Castle 1297?

  • obsidian@raex.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2009
      Greetings

      I don't know precisely - the sources I have
      immediately at hand are all vague and, in fact, Wishart isn't much
      mentioned at all. There is a fairly detailed article on him in Wikipedia
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wishart), but it doesn't say exactly
      when. If it was Wallace who released him, then it would have occurred
      before the battle at Falkirk (22 July 1298), since afterward, Wallace's
      prestige evaporated and, in fact, he left for France in short order. If
      Edward released him upon his oath, that would strongly imply a time
      shortly after the battle, the result of which would have made it seem as
      if Edward was in full control and resistance to him futile. The Wiki
      article says explicitly that Edward was complaining personally to the
      Pope, attempting to get Wishart removed from his See, in May of 1301, so
      his release would have been before then. If you can find it, you might try
      John Dowden's The Bishops of Scotland, ed. J. Maitland Thomson,
      (Glasgow, 1912) - I haven't seen it, but it sounds like it might be
      useful.

      Cordially;
      Nigel

      On Sun, December 27,
      2009 5:01 pm, Diana Cosby wrote:
      > In July 1297 when the
      Bishop Wishart surrendered to the English at
      > Irvine, then was
      moved to Roxburgh Castle by the English. I'm trying to

      determine how long he remained there until Wallace freed him. In
      > Geoffrey W.S. Barrow's book, Robert Bruce & The Community of
      The Realm
      > of Scotland, he states, "Wallace sent his men to
      besiege Roxburgh
      > expressly because the bishop of Glasgow was
      imprisoned there, and
      > evidently too valuable, in Wallace's view,
      to be left in English hands.

      > *I found this
      mentioned:
      > -*Wishart's first rising came to a premature end in
      July 1297 when he
      > surrendered to the English at Irvine, but the
      ball was rolling and would
      > not stop. The rebel bishop was
      imprisoned for a time, swore his fealty
      > to Edward anew, only to
      break it as soon as he was released. Reference:

      http://www.rcag.org.uk/history_H3_wishart.htm

      > So, if
      anyone has any idea of how long the Bishop Wishart remained in

      Roxburgh Castle, or has a source I can research further, I would be
      > extremely grateful. Thank you very much for your time.

      Happy New Year!

      <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      > His Captive/Alexander
      MacGruder
      > His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times
      review - 2009
      > Booksellers Best Finalist
      > His Conquest
      - Nov 2010 / His Destiny - Nov 2011

      "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis
      recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis
      est."
      -