Bishop Wishart - time spent imprisoned at Roxburgh Castle 1297?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2009
      In July 1297 when the Bishop Wishart surrendered to the English at
      Irvine, then was moved to Roxburgh Castle by the English. I'm trying to
      determine how long he remained there until Wallace freed him. In
      Geoffrey W.S. Barrow's book, Robert Bruce & The Community of The Realm
      of Scotland, he states, "Wallace sent his men to besiege Roxburgh
      expressly because the bishop of Glasgow was imprisoned there, and
      evidently too valuable, in Wallace's view, to be left in English hands.

      *I found this mentioned:
      -*Wishart's first rising came to a premature end in July 1297 when he
      surrendered to the English at Irvine, but the ball was rolling and would
      not stop. The rebel bishop was imprisoned for a time, swore his fealty
      to Edward anew, only to break it as soon as he was released. Reference:
      http://www.rcag.org.uk/history_H3_wishart.htm

      So, if anyone has any idea of how long the Bishop Wishart remained in
      Roxburgh Castle, or has a source I can research further, I would be
      extremely grateful. Thank you very much for your time.
      Happy New Year!

      Diana
      www.dianacosby.com <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
      His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
      His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review - 2009
      Booksellers Best Finalist
      His Conquest - Nov 2010 / His Destiny - Nov 2011

    • obsidian@raex.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2009
        Greetings

        I don't know precisely - the sources I have
        immediately at hand are all vague and, in fact, Wishart isn't much
        mentioned at all. There is a fairly detailed article on him in Wikipedia
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wishart), but it doesn't say exactly
        when. If it was Wallace who released him, then it would have occurred
        before the battle at Falkirk (22 July 1298), since afterward, Wallace's
        prestige evaporated and, in fact, he left for France in short order. If
        Edward released him upon his oath, that would strongly imply a time
        shortly after the battle, the result of which would have made it seem as
        if Edward was in full control and resistance to him futile. The Wiki
        article says explicitly that Edward was complaining personally to the
        Pope, attempting to get Wishart removed from his See, in May of 1301, so
        his release would have been before then. If you can find it, you might try
        John Dowden's The Bishops of Scotland, ed. J. Maitland Thomson,
        (Glasgow, 1912) - I haven't seen it, but it sounds like it might be
        useful.

        Cordially;
        Nigel

        <http://www.dianacosby.com/>
        > His Captive/Alexander
        MacGruder
        > His Woman/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times
        review - 2009
        > Booksellers Best Finalist
        > His Conquest
        - Nov 2010 / His Destiny - Nov 2011

        "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis
        recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis
        est."
        -