[albanach] Re: France & Scotland

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 1999
      At 6:27 PM -0400 9/27/99, EoganOg@... wrote:
      >I have not read this book, but I have seen it. The author seems to purport
      >that he is the direct heir to the Stuart throne and believes that he should
      >rightfully be the monarch of an independent Scotland, should such an entity
      >ever exist. I don't know where he gets authority for his titles from, or
      >that he has any. I also do not know where he resides.

      As I thought -- he sounds like a crackpot ;-) (Not only a crackpot,
      but a crackpot with an agenda to push. This is not a good recipe for
      a reliable book!)

      Sharon
      ska Africa

      >Drew, you have this book, don't you? Tell us a little bit about the author,
      >if he gives any biographical info. What are your thoughts on the book?
      >
      >Aye,
      >Eogan
      >
      >In a message dated 9/27/99 5:41:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      >krossa@... writes:
      >
      >> If you're interested in more academically respected history, I don't
      >> recommend this book. Though I've not read it myself, the name and
      >> style of the author sets off real warning bells. (To the best of my
      >> knowledge, there is no "HRH Prince Michael of Albany" in the British
      >> royal family, so either the "Albany" in question is in some foreign
      >> country and has nothing to do with Scotland or else he is making
      >> false claims about holding a British title. I won't even get into
      >> "Head of the Royal House o Stewart"... Basically, this guy sounds
      >> like a crackpot.) It is unlikely this book will give reliable
      >> information about the relations between Scotland, France, and England
      >> circa 1300.

      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach

      Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
      Medieval Scotland Web Site (including information on names & clothing):
      http://www.stanford.edu/~skrossa/medievalscotland/
    • Bugbear
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 1999
        On the original subject, the book mentions Wallace being sent from France
        to Scotland to uphold the Military Alliance made between Baliol and
        Philippe IV of France in 1295.
        Which may contribute to why Wallace was fighting for King John.
        Baliol's wife and King Edward I had the same grandmother,
        Isabella of De Warenne, of Angouleme.

        I got the book as a gift, and actually felt the same way about it. BUT I
        did pick it up
        a year later and started to comb through it. The guy did some homework, as
        he has his
        historical resources listed. (eg. Diocesan Archives of Angers, France etc.)
        I have only read half of it so far, the later half looks to be moreless the
        reformation of Scotland etc etc.

        I understand the animosity towards Stewarts (Fitz Alan, etc) , and
        especially his return
        to claim descendancy. I think alot of us would go back and claim lands,
        castles etc. if we could.

        When I read a book, I am always looking at their references, it gives me a
        place
        to look as well. I may not like the person who wrote it, but it does not
        mean that they
        have nothing to contribute to the subject.

        Erica