All quiet on the Highland front---"feilidhean " (kilts)again

  • Shel Browder
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2009
      Seems a good time to throw a pebble in the water.

      I was talking with my Gaelic teacher (Gaelic was his first language and
      his older brother was beaten for speaking it in school) a couple of
      weeks or so ago and mentioned feileadh mor. So his take on on the
      meaning of the various Gaelic words for kilts seems to be :

      feileadh (the "e" is accented to lengthen the sound) is pronounced with
      an "ugh" sound to the last syllable, which accords with pronunciation of
      that ending in several Gaelic dialects. In some dialects for some
      reason, the initial "f" in many words is silent, making the
      pronunciation "AALE-ugh".

      feileadh--the belted plaid

      feileadh beag--the small kilt

      feileadh mor--the larger separate upper piece worn with the small kilt,
      seemingly from some period images, tucked into the belt of the small kilt.

      This flies in the face of most everything that I've seen in modern
      writings of the kilt, but there seems some logic to it. I've mused for
      a long time over what the "kilt" is if there is a great kilt and a small
      kilt; it has always seemed to me that there has to be something else.
      Has anyone seen any early descriptions of the kilt in the language of
      the Gaels?

      Shel