Re: [albanach] Language question

  • Darcy Holleman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      I believe laughing in Scots Gaelic is gáire which is pronounced gaw-reh or gaw-ruh...hope this helps.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
        The emphasis is on the first syllable and the "a" is (always) the
        British "a". The accent mark on the "a" lengthens the sound. Having an
        "i" on one side of the "r" and an "e" on the other makes it a very short
        (or slender) "r" and it should not be rolled at all. A better phonetic
        representation would be "GAA-ruh" in Scottish Gaelic. "R" is different
        in Irish and I don't know how it affects the sound in that language.
        Suffice it to say that speakers of each language would recognize the
        word when the other spoke it.

        Shel