Re: [albanach] Language question

  • obsidian@raex.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      gáirí = Ir.
      "Laughter". Irish pronunciation is a bit of a mystery to me, but
      my sense is that this should sound a lot like the common proper name
      "Gary".

      Nigel

      On Wed, April 1, 2009 12:24
      pm, Kirsten Lee wrote:
      > HI, my mare foaled early this morning
      (both mama and baby are doing
      > great!) Does anyone know the
      Scottish or Irish word for laughter? And
      > more importantly, how
      to pronounce it? Any other suggestions for fun

      --
      "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii
      dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."

    • Darcy Holleman
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        I believe laughing in Scots Gaelic is gáire which is pronounced gaw-reh or gaw-ruh...hope this helps.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
          The emphasis is on the first syllable and the "a" is (always) the
          British "a". The accent mark on the "a" lengthens the sound. Having an
          "i" on one side of the "r" and an "e" on the other makes it a very short
          (or slender) "r" and it should not be rolled at all. A better phonetic
          representation would be "GAA-ruh" in Scottish Gaelic. "R" is different
          in Irish and I don't know how it affects the sound in that language.
          Suffice it to say that speakers of each language would recognize the
          word when the other spoke it.

          Shel