Language question

  • Kirsten Lee
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      HI, my mare foaled early this morning (both mama and baby are doing great!) Does anyone know the Scottish or Irish word for laughter? And more importantly, how to pronounce it? Any other suggestions for fun Gaelic names?

      THanks! --Kirsten
    • obsidian@raex.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        gáirí = Ir.
        "Laughter". Irish pronunciation is a bit of a mystery to me, but
        my sense is that this should sound a lot like the common proper name
        "Gary".

        Nigel

        --
        "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii
        dispensans non fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."

      • Darcy Holleman
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          I believe laughing in Scots Gaelic is gáire which is pronounced gaw-reh or gaw-ruh...hope this helps.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
            The emphasis is on the first syllable and the "a" is (always) the
            British "a". The accent mark on the "a" lengthens the sound. Having an
            "i" on one side of the "r" and an "e" on the other makes it a very short
            (or slender) "r" and it should not be rolled at all. A better phonetic
            representation would be "GAA-ruh" in Scottish Gaelic. "R" is different
            in Irish and I don't know how it affects the sound in that language.
            Suffice it to say that speakers of each language would recognize the
            word when the other spoke it.

            Shel