soprran cantles

  • Shelton Browder
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2008
      Matthew,

      I have looked at every site I can think of in an attempt to find an antique
      sporran cantle. I want to make one a mid 18th century brass cantle with a
      proper catch. Do you have any idea where good photos, both interior and
      exterior, may be found? Best of course would be an opportunity to look at
      and draw an original.

      Thanks.

      Shel
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2008
        Shelton Browder wrote:

        >Matthew,
        >
        >I have looked at every site I can think of in an attempt to find an antique
        >sporran cantle. I want to make one a mid 18th century brass cantle with a
        >proper catch. Do you have any idea where good photos, both interior and
        >exterior, may be found? Best of course would be an opportunity to look at
        >and draw an original.

        ~Shel, not sure if this will help, but I entered 18th century brass
        sporran cantle and these photos came up:
        http://www.themadpiper.com/images/acc7l.JPG

        Diana

        www.dianacosby.com
        Zebra/His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
        Zebra/His Woman/December 08/Duncan MacGruder
      • Shelton Browder
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2008
          Diana,

          Thanks a bunch. I looked under everything I could think of--but did not
          have enough sense to check images. I expect I need to find someone who
          has an original. They are more complicated than they appear since they
          have a spring catch inside. Some had a flintlock pistole that would fire
          if not opened in the right sequence.

          Shel

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9, 2008
            Shel,

            I was going to direct you to those same images -- they are reproductions,
            but based on actual finds. I'm not aware of any photos on line showing the
            interior construction, though. The ones I have seen in person have been
            made with different mechanisms, though. Some have a spring catch. Others
            have a screw catch. One had almost a combo lock configuration.

            First I've ever heard about a "hidden flintlock pistol" booby-trap, though!
            Honestly, where would you hide it and still have room in your sporran? And
            who's going to be sneaking into your sporran without you noticing? (I'd be
            a bit worried about a pistol going off that near the crown jewels,
            personally! I'd rather take my chances with a pick-pocket!)

            --
            Matthew A. C. Newsome, FSA Scot
            Curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum

          • Shelton Browder
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
              Thanks Matthew,

              I've built two with spring catches--but the mechanism is speculation. I've
              seen quite a few pics of old ones that Al Saguto took while in Scotland.
              None show the interior.

              The Scotsman had an article on a sporan with a built in pistol about a year
              ago and it shows up in Wikipedia asd well.

              Sounds like I'll need to make a trip to Scotland--if only the dollar werent
              so low now. Sigh :-{

              Shel