Re: [albanach] Term for crafting a copper kettle? - Thank you

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
      Shelton Browder wrote:

      >Hi again,
      >
      >glad to help. Words are fun and sticking them together to form visual images is quite a craft itself. I like your imagry. It fits in with the imagry that shows up in old stories and poems.

      ~Thank you very much.

      >Copper wire was around long before that, though I don't know when it first appears. Maybe I'll dig around to see just for fun.

      ~That would make sense. I watched a show on how copper is mined, and
      it's an enormous process with today's technology. For medieval times
      and before, it must have been super time and labor intensive, which
      would have made the price outrageous.
      Diana

      www.dianacosby.com
      Zebra/His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
      Zebra/His Woman/December 08/Duncan MacGruder
    • Shelton Browder
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
        Well, human labour had no great worth, so it did not add to the expense of
        things the way that it does today. Add to that that most people did not
        have expenses beyond food, clothing and housing (no car, no phone, no
        insurance, no health insurance, few taxes) and a little discretionary
        income could be used for nice things. Copper and brass was more expensive
        than iron (it still is) though iron requires more effort to extract from
        ores than copper. But iron isn't scarce and copper is. Gold is expensive
        beacuse of its relative scarcity and desirability. Iron is cheapest and a
        great deal more useful.

        Shel

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
          Shelton Browder wrote:

          >Well, human labour had no great worth, so it did not add to the expense of things the way that it does today.

          ~Excellent point.

          >Add to that that most people did not have expenses beyond food, clothing and housing (no car, no phone, no insurance, no health insurance, few taxes) and a little discretionary income could be used for nice things. Copper and brass was more expensive than iron (it still is) though iron requires more effort to extract from ores than copper. But iron isn't scarce and copper is. Gold is expensive beacuse of its relative scarcity and desirability. Iron is cheapest and a great deal more useful.

          ~So true. Shel, thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I
          sincerely appreciate it. Have a great day.