Re: [albanach] Term for crafting a copper kettle? - Thank you

  • Shelton Browder
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
      Hi again,

      glad to help. Words are fun and sticking them together to form visual
      images is quite a craft itself. I like your imagry. It fits in with the
      imagry that shows up in old stories and poems.

      Copper wire was around long before that, though I don't know when it first
      appears. Maybe I'll dig around to see just for fun.

      Shel

      Quoting Diana Cosby <wulfe6@...>:

      > Shelton Browder wrote:
      >
      > >Hi Diana,
      > >
      > >"Hewn" would apply only to wood. "Crafted" is generic and would apply
      > >most any handmade process, whatever the process or material. One
      > process
      > >for making non-ferrous vessels is called "raising". Your line could
      > read
      > >"like the color of a copper kettle newly raised."
      > >

      > ~Great, love this.
      >
      > >If you wished to use a more hairlike copper product, then you could
      > say
      > >"like the color of copper wire, newly drawn". Copper wire is sized by
      > >drawing it through increasingly smaller holes until the desired
      > diameter
      > >is reached. It causes the surface to be rubbed bright.
      > >

      > ~My story setting is 1297, so not sure if they have copper wire yet?
      > Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!
      > Diana
      >
      > www.dianacosby.com
      > Zebra/His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
      > Zebra/His Woman/December 08/Duncan MacGruder

      Shel
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
        Shelton Browder wrote:

        >Hi again,
        >
        >glad to help. Words are fun and sticking them together to form visual images is quite a craft itself. I like your imagry. It fits in with the imagry that shows up in old stories and poems.

        ~Thank you very much.

        >Copper wire was around long before that, though I don't know when it first appears. Maybe I'll dig around to see just for fun.

        ~That would make sense. I watched a show on how copper is mined, and
        it's an enormous process with today's technology. For medieval times
        and before, it must have been super time and labor intensive, which
        would have made the price outrageous.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
          Well, human labour had no great worth, so it did not add to the expense of
          things the way that it does today. Add to that that most people did not
          have expenses beyond food, clothing and housing (no car, no phone, no
          insurance, no health insurance, few taxes) and a little discretionary
          income could be used for nice things. Copper and brass was more expensive
          than iron (it still is) though iron requires more effort to extract from
          ores than copper. But iron isn't scarce and copper is. Gold is expensive
          beacuse of its relative scarcity and desirability. Iron is cheapest and a
          great deal more useful.

          Shel

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
            Shelton Browder wrote:

            >Well, human labour had no great worth, so it did not add to the expense of things the way that it does today.

            ~Excellent point.

            >Add to that that most people did not have expenses beyond food, clothing and housing (no car, no phone, no insurance, no health insurance, few taxes) and a little discretionary income could be used for nice things. Copper and brass was more expensive than iron (it still is) though iron requires more effort to extract from ores than copper. But iron isn't scarce and copper is. Gold is expensive beacuse of its relative scarcity and desirability. Iron is cheapest and a great deal more useful.

            ~So true. Shel, thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I
            sincerely appreciate it. Have a great day.