Re: [albanach] Questions about SCA Names

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
      Just adressing one bit of this:

      At 12:44 AM 10/1/2007, you wrote:
      <snip>
      > 2) My next question is in regards to suitability of a name with
      > the SCA. All of these names I found in Index of Names in Irish
      > Annals: Feminine Given Names (listed alphabetically) from the
      > Academy of Saint Gabriel website. I am hoping that the
      > sourcing will pass scrutiny with no problems. What I am wondering
      > about is time frame -- not all of the names were referenced in the
      > Irish Annals during my persona's time period. Some were earlier,
      > some were later. Will an 'out of period' name be much harder to
      > pass and why so? I can't help but think that because female names
      > had such a lower proportion of official notation, then why
      > shouldn't there be some leeway in the process. Just think if
      > registering a name of a American Revolutionary War female persona
      > was limited to names of the spouses of the Declaration of
      > Independence signers only because they are the only women mentioned
      > in authorized sourcing documents.

      St. G is an excellent source :-). Just check with your local heralds
      for what you need to print out to attach to the submission.

      As for dates, the only rule is that the name be internally
      consistent, culturally and temporally (IIRC all bits within 100-ish
      years of each other, but I'm not sure). It doesn't have to match your
      persona, at all, to be registerable. My persona is an early 14th c.
      Highland woman, but if I wanted to register a male Italian Ren name I
      could (assuming it was a registerable Italian Ren name, of course
      ^_^). In fact, the first name I registered turned out to be more
      appropriate to a later-period Welsh male, and no one said "boo." I
      changed it when I became a herald myself, learned more, and wanted a
      more authentic name :-).

      I understand some branch heralds will try to tell people that the
      name has to match the persona, but if you get one of those then
      appeal up-line, since Laurel has no such rule.

      If you can handle the herald-speak (aka technical jargon), all the
      College of Arms' rules are online at
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/regs.html -- the Rules for
      Submissions and maybe the glossary are probably the most relevant.

      I'll leave the Pictish/Gaelic specifics for the language experts :-).

      YiS,
      Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org