Clan Mottos

  • paperbackwriter1558
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2007
      I was curious of the time period clan motto's came about? Since I've
      only found them documented in English, were they not in Gaelic because
      they were around in a much later time period?
      Thanks.

      Victoria
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2007
        I can't answer the question of date, but I can verify that present day clan
        mottos are in English, Scots, Gaelic, Latin, and French.
        ~Matt

        --
        Matthew A. C. Newsome, FSA Scot
        Curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum

      • Bruce Gordon
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
          Greetings

          You might try an inquiry to the Scots heraldic authority - it's possible someone in Lord Lyon's office might know, or at least be able to direct you further. Try them at...

          http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/CCC_FirstPage.jsp

          Nigel

          paperbackwriter1558 <paperbackwriter1558@...> wrote:
          I was curious of the time period clan motto's came about? Since I've
          only found them documented in English, were they not in Gaelic because
          they were around in a much later time period?
          Thanks.

          Victoria

          "Do these colors match?"
          "Is this too much jewelry?"